Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Anodized aluminium surface (texture)

Hello,

I'm new here and need help from Xara users more experienced than me.
    English is not my native language, so forgive my mistakes and try to find out what I wish to say...

I work on templates for my website and forum, and I'd like to make images (logos, backgrounds, ranks, etc.).
    I'd like to use anodized aluminium surface (is texture the right terminology here?) in many different colours like gold, silver, black, grey, red, yellow.

Their's structure would look similar to this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoasterRigalarge.jpg 
Views:	1249 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	54774

I've searched this forum for aluminium sheet metal surface but didn't find what I'm looking for.
    Does any of you have an idea of what is the best (i.e. easiest) way to achive the above look with XE4?
    Is there a texture or Live Effect included in Xara I could use? If so, which one? If not, what other methods shall I try?

Thank you for hints in advance.

Oh, and happy new year
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 01 January 2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: attached image to post

Default Re: Anodized aluminium surface (texture)

Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with your English!
    You could try using the fractal fills and transparencies in Xara Xtreme.
    Also, have a look at the Xara Xone for all the hints and tutorials made especially for Xara by Gary Priester, Moderator of this Parish.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hello mokusbajusz,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Following Bob's advice to use fractal fills and transparencies I made the attached images.

With some adjustments to the fill handles and transparencies you could achieve a better result. The .xar file is also attached for you to experiment with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anodized.gif 
Views:	1162 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	54736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anodized2.gif 
Views:	1253 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	54737  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There is an explanation of this technique in the January 2009 Xara Xone Xtreme Tutorial on this page.

Further to the above you may try doing an image search on google for Anodised Aluminium. Copy any image that you think matches your requirements and import it into Brian Etherington excellent XPal available in the xaraxone. This creates a palette of colours from the image. Import this into XX and you've got more colours than you can shake a stick at.

I used this method to create the attached image created via XPal, Xtreme and Xara3D6.

Name:	allumin.png 
Views:	1144 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	54740  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 31 December 2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Having nothing else to do today, I played around with a photo I took of a bust of Voltaire decked out for the holidays, which I converted to grayscale and then used the Live Effects Tool > Stylization Filter > Relief to add depth. On top of this I added my simulated brushed metal finish, and on top of that a linear filled rectangle with gold tones. And with a variety of transparencies.

Look for details in the next Workbook.

Name:	voltaire.jpg 
Views:	1053 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	54751  

Egg,

I like to use indexed colors. You can get too many to deal with. I usually do this in Photoshop, and save to an MS PAL. XPal will read MS PALs, and you can save to EPS. Loading the EPS file will get a set of on screen objects with the colors.

Rich

WOW!
    That is unexpected! I mean I'm just very surprised how fast and how many of you replied immediately to a question from a newbie!

Thank you!

I picked up the hint in the first post and found exactly the same article what gwpriester later linked. I tried to follow the steps and here is my first draft:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Q5j0oJhpX6o/SV...rank_admin.jpg

I'm not sure yet.
    I want the text to look like it was pressed (stamped?) in the metal and then painted.

Edit: Now I realized, that what I wanted to search for is the brushed metal surface...
    Last edited by mokusbajusz; 31 December 2008 at 08:11 PM.

You can use the plug-in 3D Bump map to get some depth or rises of your art. The coloring and texture would of course be to your liking. I would suggest using a layer for the 3D bump map to preserve the original artwork.

Name:	coin stamped.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	54753  

...and as soon as I found it out, I googled for it and voila: a lot of results.

I like this one

Unfortunately although the style is downloadable it is for Photoshop, not for Xara.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 01 January 2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: removed [IMG] bbcode hotlinking