Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Grids and Scaling object to it.

Hope someone can help.
    I am self taught so please be gentle. I am using an HP Pavillion and XaraXtreme 4.0. I must say that the software provided by Xara is simply brilliant.
    Here is my challenge.
    I would like to scale my artwork. The material that I am scanning into the computer at 2400 dpi is being reproduced at a ratio of 1:1. for printing purposes. The scan is a piece of wood and measures 30.5cm x 21.5cm ( approx. 8.5" x 11")
    I need to create a drawing that is scaled to the same co-ordinates as the scanned wood so that I create in a 1:1 ratio and maintain the high rez of 2400 dpi.when I go to print

I want to create a piece of artwork that is 92 cm wide x 204 cm length.

I am having difficulty in setting up the grid to give me grid lines in 30.5 cm x 30.5 cm.
    Also

Is there anyone in the Toronto Canada area who I might get some lessons from? I am sure that there are numerous short cuts that could be used that I have not yet discovered.

I would like to attach an illustration I recently did for a book but I am not sure if you can show your work on this forum.

Thank's again members your help is apprecaited.

Howard

Default Re: Grids and Scaling object to it.

Welcome to TG Howard,

I would like to attach an illustration I recently did for a book but I am not sure if you can show your work on this forum.
    You could attach your work in this forum but it's probably best to post it into the relevant forum you created the image in (The Xara Gallery if you created it in Xtreme or the Adobe Illustrator forum if that's the software you used) But in the main please post, even if you're unsure of where to post. We can always move it if necessary.

On your main point I'm a tad confused as your image dimension aspects don't appear "locked" to each other. However, I'm sure a member more versed in print work will be along soon.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Howard,

I don't usually scale my drawings and I'm not sure I'm following what your need to do. But maybe the attached .xar can be of help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 January 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: reread OP and see I had dimension in the wrong orientation.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Sandy.

We are all in the Toronto area, more or less. This is pretty much an international conference with members from all over the place. Even New Mexico.

When I need to figure the size of a print, I use this equation:

Width of image x dpi = number of pixels wide (8.5" x 300dpi = 2550 pixels)
    Height of image x dpi = number of pixels high (11" x 300dpi = 3300 pixels)

You can then type in the width and height in Xara on the task line when the selector tool is active.

I never knew prints went up to 2400 dpi. That amazes me.
    Last edited by Burpee; 13 January 2009 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    I never knew prints went up to 2400 dpi. That amazes me.
    That's print DPI, not the same as resolution/screen scaling (known correctly as PPI)
    Example: 4 coloured dots printed at 600dpi each (dots per inch) = 2400 dpi overall (dots per inch)

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    4 coloured dots printed at 600dpi each (dots per inch) = 2400 dpi overall (dots per inch)
    But most people still refer to it as 600 dpi, because all it is really doing is RIPing a 600 dpi input of the dot's color values into the corresponding CMYK outputs. I've never seen a print house asking for 2400 dpi, and your posts are misleading to most, because they might think they need to supply 2400 dpi graphics when they don't.