Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie Selection Question

I am a newbie to Corel Painter 3 (and to this group). When I try to select an image (like if I drew a circle and then selected it), I get the box with crawling lines. I click the Selection Adjuster tool, then if i try to scale or resize, I grab the box and resize it, but nothing happens to the image inside.

Am I missing something?

I am running this on Vista - could that be a problem?

Thanks,

Paul
    IP

Default Re: Newbie Selection Question

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewinstein View Post
    I am a newbie to Corel Painter 3 (and to this group).
    Since there is no Corel Painter 3 (Painter was owned by Fractal Design when Painter 3 was released and it probably wouldn't work at all on today's computers.. I purchased Fractal Design Painter 4.0 in 1995 and it won't work at all on my nearly 4 year old computer), I'm guessing you mean:

Corel Painter Essentials 3

This is a 'lite" Painter version bundled with Wacom tablets.

When I try to select an image (like if I drew a circle and then selected it), I get the box with crawling lines. I click the Selection Adjuster tool, then if i try to scale or resize, I grab the box and resize it, but nothing happens to the image inside.

Am I missing something?
    Yep! The Selection Adjuster tool (as its name implies) is used to adjust a selection, not to adjust the selection's content.

To scale a selected area of the Canvas, the selection's content needs to be lifted to a Layer. To do this, then scale the Layer:

1. Make the selection.

2. Using the Layer Adjuster tool (right icon, second row in the Tools palette), click inside the selection to lift its content to a Layer.

3. With the Layer highlighted in the Layers palette, use Effects menu > Orientation > Scale. The Scale Selection dialog box opens and you'll also see a bounding box around the Layer content with bounding box handles at each corner and in the middle of the top and bottom and both sides.

4. To scale the Layer, you can either:
    • Type the percent in the dialog box, or
    • Click and drag one of the bounding box handles.

I am running this on Vista - could that be a problem?

Thanks,

Paul
    In this case, I don't think the problem has anything to do with using Vista, just not knowing Corel Painter Essentials 3 well enough yet.

Happy New Year 2009!

Jinny Brown

#
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 31 December 2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Default Re: Newbie Selection Question

Jinny,

Thanks SO MUCH for responding!!! That absolutely worked!!!

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to answer my question. It would have taken me about 10,000 years to figure that out.

Paul Lewis
    IP