Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No Default Template

Does anyone know if it's possible to have Xtreme Pro start up with no preloaded template, just the blank screen? I would like to select my own after Xtreme loads whether it's an existing file or a new file.

Thanks,

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Default Re: No Default Template

Well you could remove the entry in the registry which loads the default template, but you cannot suppress the warning that pops up each time you start Xtreme, so rather than closing the default page to open your preferred page you'd be clicking to close the warning dialog instead, so no gain..

In short, there's no way to start Xtreme with and empty window as far as I know.

If you open a different template or a new file, immediately after xtreme loads, then the default file is automatically removed

So unless you want to save files in sequence starting 'Untitled1' does it actually matter in practice?
    I don't think it would affect the actual startup time either
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

One way or the other you are going to have to select a template.

So why not have your default template be the one you work in most often and then make that one selection after start-up.

IOW you are making a big deal out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    If you open a different template or a new file, immediately after xtreme loads, then the default file is automatically removed
    Yes, of course it does

(Show's how often I choose anything other than my own template (which I set as default) )

So yep - I'm with Gary, it's a non-issue

I do see your points. I don't consider it a big deal. It's not a non-issue, just a minor annoyance. I'm sure we each have our pet peeves with Xara.

I like Handrawns approach though. A little different than my work flow, but I can adapt!

Gary's approach would work if I had a common type of template I work in. I'm in and out of Xara all day long with many styles of templates I work with. No real common one I work with regularly.

I find it simpler to have nothing open when I launch Xtreme.

Would be nice if I could change a registry setting for an option like that. But like I said, I can adapt.

Thanks for your input.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
    I find it simpler to have nothing open when I launch Xtreme.
    Can I ask what you see the real difference is between an empty window and one with a default (untitled.xar) template open?
    In either case your first step is to open your preferred template right?
    As SteveJ pointed out, there isn't any need to close the default template because it is automatically removed once you open the template of choice.

To choose your template more quickly, you can assign hotkeys to up to 10 templates.

Utilities | Customize key shortcuts | File Menu | New document from template nn

Sure Steve.

I can do the standard Ctrl O or File, Open. My work flow has been a little different. I drag and drop. Seems strange, I know.

However, I'm often working in more than one app, or working on several different client files throughout my day. I find it very tedious to navigate to my working files using the open window dialog. I have my client files open in Windows Explorer and drag and drop what I need. It goes the same for other design objects I might need. A photo, a piece of previously designed art. I drag and drop. It's pain to navigate using File, Import. I find it really inefficient digging around my files using dialog windows.

The reason I was curious if I could have Xtreme launch without a default template is that I'm doing so many different things that I don't really have a default that makes sense.

If I'm working on a new file, then SteveJ's idea will work fine. I'll simply select from my templates and get going. However, I'm frequently working in existing files. With my work flow, it just makes more sense to have no template when launching Xtreme.

As it is now, I either ignore the loaded template or simply close it.

It's really only a minor annoyance anyway, I just thought if there were a way . . .

Red

Thanks - makes sense to me