Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Attention Microsoft Internet Explorer users

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    I do use chrome and find it very fast but lacking a lot of features.
    Which is why I like it. Features bleachers, (AKA The Bloat Boat) who needs 'em

(personal opinion of course)

Paul,The "FF no thanks" wasn't from me but the Alien.
    Sorry, Hans!

Steve,

Thought you wanted the features to block out certain things on sites
    You can't have it both ways,have a bloated app with many features
    or a lean app with less features ,it would effect the usage in both ways.
    Seems the devs should look into it to make it happen

Paul,I sometimes feel alienated but not an or the Alien

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    You seem very hostile towards FF
    No, not hostile. I just prefer IE (actually, I prefer Maxthon which is a shell around IE) over FF, because I find working with it more fluent
    The negativity in my post was because I find it a little bit overreacting when, after a security issue in IE, everyone starts running around screaming "Ohnoes!1" and saying that IE users should switch to whatever browser (usually it's FF though) they use. Especially when the issue is quickly solved by MS with a simple patch.
    Hans said it too:
    while if there's a minor glitch in ms software the whole world's on fire.
    I feel that these people (not directed against you, personally; lots of people have done this) are only trying to force their browser upon IE users.
    I prefer to let my own experiences guide my choices

I came across the warning on the BBC News website by accident, so my post was more a public information thing. The BBC article didn't mention other browsers besides IE as being vulnerable and the advice was to use another browser until the problem was resolved. FF is the next most popular (on PC anyway). I'm not forcing FF on anyone.

A lot of people just seem to think "web browser=Internet Explorer" so it does no harm to give FF or any other browser a heads-up particularly when that is the industry advice.

Do I like IE? No. Probably because I'm sick of my teenagers ending up with all sorts of unwanted toolbar nonsense installing itself onto IE and being almost impossible to remove. In the web development community I think most people use FF and run IE for testing/compatibility purposes.

I'm not particularly flying the flag for open-source (I was cynical about Xara going open-source, perhaps with justification), but I do like a bit of diversity and support for the underdog.

Paul

Thought you wanted the features to block out certain things on sites
    You can't have it both ways,have a bloated app with many features
    or a lean app with less features ,it would effect the usage in both ways.
    Seems the devs should look into it to make it happen
    Not looking for an argument Hans. Just my opinion mate.

No you didn't. You came here for an argument.

Look, an argument isn't just saying no it isn't.

Can be! I'm not allow to argue unless you've paid.

A little Monty Python humor, I just couldn't resist.

As a designer and developer, and not an open source one at that, I prefer FF. I do use IE, but mostly for testing as Paul mentioned. There are major differences between the two.

FF is slower to load, but runs faster in use for me. I do want to test some alternatives like Chrome, but there isn't enough time in my day lately.

I've had quite a bit of demand pointing me toward open source from my client base. Not just open source for the sake of open source, they want development on platforms such as Wordpress, etc. People are getting more sophisticated and can envision a world with a dimished MS.

I do agree that Open Source doesn't equal better. But neither does a world dominated by MS. I don't wish for MS go away like some. I think they are important overall. But, I like many players in the game. It keeps things fresh!
    Last edited by RedWombat; 21 December 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
    I do agree that Open Source doesn't equal better. But neither does a world dominated by MS. I don't wish for MS go away like some. I think they are important overall. But, I like many players in the game. It keeps things fresh!
    Well said ! That's biodiversity.

ivan

IE vs Firefox? The only superior feature in firefox for me is firebug. Very very handy in web development and I use it often. That's enough for me to use FF concurrently.

Otherwise IE is convenient; it loads quickly and has never compromised my computer in any way.

Google chrome looks great and i use it sometimes but interface is all icons. I prefer menus. Its properties options panel features only about 6 changes i can make, none of them relevant. Too unconfigurable for me.

Safari is made by apple. I'm not religious so I don't go there.

So, most of the time I just use IE without thinking about it. I surf, therefore I am...

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope this New Year will go ok for you all.

Q

Quote Originally Posted by qmr View Post
    Google chrome looks great and i use it sometimes but interface is all icons. I prefer menus. Its properties options panel features only about 6 changes i can make, none of them relevant. Too unconfigurable for me.
    Personally I wouldn't consider toggling the password manager as non-relevant? Or enabling malware protection?
    What about how cookies are handled or quick access to your internet proxy settings (inc other privacy options)? How about choosing your favorite default search engine or home page? Where to save downloads? Maybe setting the right language for the spell-checker? Pop-up blocking? Denying insecure content?
    Is none of this relevant?

Aside from my already mentioned flash'n'figs thing, I'm happy with Chrome's light feature list and UI.
    One of the design points of the chrome browser was that you should not notice it's even there.
    And it succeeds. It's fast, does the job very well has all the basic features of any browser plus some unique ones of it's own (eg: Web Application Shortcuts) and dynamic resizeable form fields (I love that feature!).
    It's searchable history is in my opinion is the best of the bunch.

I surf, therefore I am...
    So presumably the content is what should be important to you rather than the browser furniture, theming, added toolbars, status bars, extensions, add-ons and search fields, bells whistles, marching band and fireworks display

I acknowledge however that the choice of which web browser to use is a personal thing, much like how you might arrange your desktop/icons and which Windows XP or Vista style you might choose.

Thanks for the Xmas & New Year wishes qmr. All the best to you and yours in NZ from FNQ AU http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 22 December 2008 at 05:37 PM.