Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How can I make xtreme images Crisp?

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference ashwiin.

Are you referring to the outer edge of a rectangle? Or the edges of shapes within the image?

And yes, an attached image would be terrific.

Go down to the Additional Option box (it's under the text entry window and Icons) when you post a response, click on Manage Attachments, and browse for the image you want to upload.

Select the image and press Upload.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    If it's only black and white, export as 2-color, and this will remove anti-aliasing. For full-color work I don't believe removing antialiasing is possible in Xtreme.
    ]

When you export the image as a bitmap, in the export options dialogue window that opens, click on the Bitmap Size tab, there are anti-aliasing options on the right-hand side.

Also, when you go into Utilities > Options, click the View tab, and you can select some more options, including dithering, never smooth, etc. - The Units tab is where you change the units to pixels as I described in my post on the last page.

Finally, if you're using live effects (plugins), go tinto the options box as above, and check the effects resolution settings. If you're exporting a bitmap at 300DPI for print, and you've only got 96DPI set for screen by default, you're not going to get the best out of your images.

ok, so if pixels is better than inches to keep bitmaps sharp, how do i translate a 5" by 7" space into pixels? Doesn't it depend on resolution, or is there a direct conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Brivtech View Post
    When you export the image as a bitmap, in the export options dialogue window that opens, click on the Bitmap Size tab, there are anti-aliasing options on the right-hand side.

Also, when you go into Utilities > Options, click the View tab, and you can select some more options, including dithering, never smooth, etc.
    If you find a method, please be more specific, as I can't see how the options you've listed remove anti-aliasing entirely. I hope I'm overlooking something, as this limitation has bothered me for quite awhile, and the only workaround I've found is the one I gave.

Tallis

ok, so if pixels is better than inches to keep bitmaps sharp, how do i translate a 5" by 7" space into pixels? Doesn't it depend on resolution, or is there a direct conversion?
    Monitors don't work in inches, centimetres or pounds and ounces. They only have one unit and that's a pixel. Now as a general rule of thumb PC monitors work at 96 pixels per inch. Pixels per inch is often used/swapped with dots per inch which is a different kettle of fish.

So ignoring the fact that it's now possible for users to alter their screen resolution from the standard 96 ppi (thankfully not many do and those that do seem to run into all sorts of unwanted issues) a 5" x 7" image would equate to a (5 x 96) x (7 x 96) image = 480 pix x 672 pix image.

So if your image is for display on the web, use pixels and export at 96 ppi. Print is a different matter.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 December 2008 at 03:59 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

David, I can't imagine a case of wanting to export without AA but wouldn't setting the veiw quality to Full Colour do the job?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    David, I can't imagine a case of wanting to export without AA..."
    Docutech printers don't do so hot with anti-aliased material. They are much better at black and white.

...but wouldn't setting the veiw quality to Full Colour do the job?
    Aaargs! - If I had realized the full implications of that setting, I may have saved myself countless hours over the past two years! I still would have had to learn some other new tricks, but they should be doable. Oh well... Now if Xtreme only allowed you to save greyscale JPGs, instead of only full-color and 2-color, another task would have been cut out of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Now if Xtreme only allowed you to save greyscale JPGs
    Does this method help you out David?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savejpgasgreyscale.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	54273  

Dave, what's wrong with selecting your full colour image in Xtreme and left clicking on the colour bar to create a contone image and exporting that as a jpg?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!jpg.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	54274  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 December 2008 at 06:33 AM.
    Egg