Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Access Violation

I've been violated!

I'm getting this:

Access violation exception at offset 0x00068ABF

What does it mean? Why is it happening, and most importantly, how do I prevent it?

I'm getting it with a file that I've been exporting to PDF. It has been working fine, until now, and when I try and export, or do something like convert to curves, it keeps coming up.
    Last edited by Brivtech; 06 December 2008 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: Access Violation

Hi Brivtech, don't panic. Something in the file has probably been corrupted. Try this:

Save the xar file under a new name.
    Close & restart Xtreme.
    Open the new named xar file
    Try exporting/converting to curves (?That's a new one on me!)
    Is it still happening? Are you still getting the AVE error messages?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Still getting the problem.

I resaved it as a different file name.
    I also tried resaving it to the local drive as it was previously stored on NAS.
    I also tried select all, copy, and paste into a new document and saved that.

But the same access violation problem is appearing.

Convert to curves is actually "convert to editable shapes". I guess I'm so used to having used CorelDRAW all these years. What I wanted to achieve is to change some text over to curves, as the fonts I've used aren't saved with the PDF (for purposes of older version compatibility), and not everyone has them on their computers. Sadly, I can't export to PDF either at the moment as I mentioned.

Hi Brivtech, my next suggestion was to do the copy and paste to a new docuement but you've already done that. Have you earlier versions of Xtreme you can open the file in? often this sorts things out (sometimes due to plug-in effects). If you want, post the file here and I'm sure many members will give it their attention and possibly be able to sort it out for you.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I tried opening it on another computer, but no joy -Same problem when exporting to PDF, and I can't convert to editable shapes to avoid font compatibility vs. PDF reader version issues with the PDF document distribution.

File attached. If anyone could provide a fixed copy, this would be greatly appreciated.

Would be great for the developers to provide a fox tool that scans through the file plucking out anything that isn't correct.

Oh, and I should point out, that the artwork is based on the client's own artwork that came from publisher. Had I designed it, it would have looked considerably different.

Would be great (second one) if there was a Publisher import filter available.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You could get a crude import from Publisher by creating a PDF and importing that.

Which version of Xtreme are you using? I used to get those errors all the time when exporting with version 3, but have not seen one for quite some time now - and put that down to the improved PDF export in version 4.

If you're using v4, there was an update to the version that shipped on the CD: you can download the patch to update to v4.01 from the Xara website.

I exported your attachment as a PDF using all of of the presets (draft, email, high quality, commercial printing) in Xtreme Pro v4.

PS - are the sausages and the sausage meat really sold already cooked?
    Last edited by Daniel; 08 December 2008 at 02:56 PM.

Exported to PDFX with no problem for me Brivtech. No good me attaching the PDF As I don't have some of the fon'ts. As Daniel say's check you've installed the latest plug-in.

If your really stuck, convert all your text to editable shapes, attach it and I'll convert it to pdf and reattach it if you want.
    Egg

Daniel, thanks for the update tip. I was running XXP 4.0.4966, and when I click the update version in the Help menu, I'm told the version is all up to date - Living in blissfull ignorance.

However, I see in the patch you linked to, that it updates this specific (CD) version, although I'm sure folks could get confused, as 4.0.4x seems to be a higher version number than 4.0.1x!!!!

Anyway, having just updated (while trying this), I noticed that:

- the loading time for this file was significantly faster.
    - Convert to editable shapes now works on the original file!
    - Export to draft (96dpi) PDF (Adobe Reader 4) for compatibility purposes now works!

Yes, everything fixed, and my grateful appreciation as always! What a relief! Now I'm able to distribute the PDF for folks on old computers wot don't have the proper fonts!

Yes, the version number doesn't really make sense.

If you have a Publisher file to convert again, you can create a PDF using print to file with Publisher 2003 or simply "Save As .. PDF" with Publisher 2007 if you install the PDF/XPS export plugin.

Xtreme will then import the PDF: text won't flow between columns and bitmaps might not be 100% right, but the basic layout will be preserved and it helps in the document's recreation.