Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Microsoft Laser 5000 Mouse scroll wheel problems in Vista

Hi everyone. My first post but I'm a long time user (and fan) of Xara Xtreme for designing website graphics.

Basically, my problem is I've just got a new Microsoft Wireless Laser 5000 mouse and the scroll wheel doesn't seem to work properly in Xara. When you scroll the wheel the page doesn't move up or down unless you really scroll quickly and then it jumps.

I've done some research and it turns out one or two other programs experience a similar bug in Vista (iTunes being the most well known). Google Earth too but this was patched in a recent Google Earth update.

My research suggests Microsoft Intellipoint drivers are to blame, uninstalling them fixes the issue but it comes back every time I reboot for some strange reason. So far nobody has come up with a proper fix or solution yet for this quirk with the Laser 5000 / 6000 / 8000 mouse in Vista. All other programs work fine but for some reason vertical scrolling in iTunes and Xara doesn't work properly with this mouse.

I know this is a Microsoft bug but I wondered if anyone else using Xara Xtreme with this mouse (or any other) have experience this in Vista and have you found a workaround?

Thanks so much :-)
    Phil

Default Re: Microsoft Laser 5000 Mouse scroll wheel problems in Vista

HI welcome

have you tried disabling [rather than uninstalling] the intellipoint drivers in device manager [or vista equivalent - I'm XP] and then rebooting?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, I've tried disabling them and removed them from the startup program list. The strange thing is even when I've uninstalled them it works fine but then the problem comes back when I reboot even though the software has been uninstalled. Very strange!

Hi Phil,

Windows XP and Windows Vista have a system restore feature. Even though you have uninstalled the driver the system restore will reinstall it when you reboot. To truely remove the driver:

1. Disable System Restore.
    2. Reboot
    3. Uninstall the driver.
    4. Reboot
    5. Re-enable System Restore
    6. Reboot
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Soquili, I'll give that a go. Many thanks :-)

ah thanks Bill - system restore is disabled in my system - though I forget now why, it might be something along these lines originally - have to dig out my log ..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Phil

I was using a Microsoft corded optical wheel mouse with my DELL Vista system and I had the same problem (which appears not to be fixed).

I switched to a Logitech Optical mouse and the scrolling is fine.

But, the sensitivity of the Logitech is not nearly as great which is frustrating.

But at least the scroll features work.