Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Flash Will Not Play

I am having problems getting a Flash (.swf) file to play when the page loads. I do not get any type of error messages, it just does not play.

Let me explain what is going on. I am running Microsoft IIS on my localhost for testing pages I design for our company. I use Microsoft VWD 2008 Express Edition and Micorsoft Expressions for developing web pages. I am using XX to develop the .swf files.

When I load a page that contains the .swf file using either of the development tools, the file plays as it should. If I load the file by navigating to it through IIS, the .swf file does not play.

Can someone help me with this?

Default Re: Flash Will Not Play

Try using another browser. Internet Explorer will not play a swf file without it being in a web page.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

IE7 does Bill.
    You will get a blocked ActiveX security message, but it will play fine without being embedded.

Ah-ha...I had the flash plug in disabled in my IE7 settings. I don't recall making that change but I must have at one point.

The ActiveX warning doesn't pop up when the .swf is in my IIS home directory.
    Last edited by Soquili; 09 October 2008 at 11:07 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The .swf file is embeded as a flas object on a web page. When I view the page from either of the development enviroments, it plays just fine. Both of these environments have the MS developer server running.

When I display the page via IIS, the .swf file does not play. Same page, just being launched differently. I have also double clicked on the .swf tile then told the system to use IE7 to view the file and it plays fine then also.

I have checked several things on IIS (made sure it was set to run both scripts and executables) and even went in and made sure that .swf was set up as a MIME type and still no luck. I have talked to others who said they had problems with Flash file and the uninstalling and then reinstalling the Flash Player solved their problem. I tried that as well. Still no luck. The darn files just will not play when I have them inside a web site and launch the web site as localhost using IIS.

I have given the same files to one of our developers and they have embeded them on a web page (using the same exact code I am using) and the page is on a hosted server that is also running IIS and the darn thing works there. I am sure I must have missed some kind of setting on IIS but I am stumped.

It should not have anything to do with the browser because I am using the same browser to look at the web page in all of these instances.

dcahall,

Flash has some security set ups that stop running certain swf's from the local computer. If they're created in Flash it redirects you to an Adobe page were you can select to overide / trust this file on your local computer. This could be your problem. If it is then it's a problem only you should encounter not visitors, so perhaps your chasing your own tail here a bit.

Not sure if this is your problem but worth mentioning.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host