Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eval user. A few questions

While test driving Xara (and briefly scanning some relevant portions of the help file) I have a few questions:
    1. Saving custom character and paragraph styles. Does Xara have this where the user can save their own named combination of Font, font size, spacing, kerning, etc ?
    2. Master pages ? (Add some text or some graphic on the master page and have it appear in all pages ?)
    3. I use shortcuts exclusively (coming from Illustrator). So once we are in text mode typing stuff, which key can get me out of text mode ? (in Illustrator the CTRL key will temporarily get me to selection mode and I can click out of the text)
    4. When I select objects, their corresponding layer is not being highlighted. Is there an option to make this happen ?
    5. When selecting many objects at once (which may be on different layers) and then pasting them ... can the paste operation remember the original layers of the objects and put them there ?
    6. Drag-copy ? Is it not possible pressing the ALT key while dragging an object to create a copy ?
    7. In the middle of drawing a curve with the pen tool while dragging a handle bar to adjust curvature, is it possible to press a key and create a cusp right there and then on the spot ? In illustrator I can hold the ALT key causing only one side of the handle-bar to move. Not possible in Xara ?
    8. Is it possible to have some pages in landscape and some others in portrait orientation ?
    9. Is there a similar concept to "Graphic Styles" (from Illustrator) in Xara ... where the user can create their own lines, thicknesses patterns and save them in a list.
    10. Can we layer many strokes on a single line ? Say the top stroke is black at 0.5 thickness and the back stroke is white at 2pt thickness (creating short of a mask). Some lines may have 5 different strokes, or fills or combination). Not possible in Xara ?
    11. Also while adjusting a curve handle bar, I am used to pressing the space bar momentarily to relocate the point itself. Not possible in Xara ?
    12. Is it possible to shift a curve thickness to one side (instead of it being right in the middle) ? Similarly is it possible to use the contour tool to create contours only on one side of a curve ?
    13. About the 3d tool. Is it possible to rotate a thin black lined illustration in 3d without adding any colors, gradients, highlights, nothing ... just tilt the original. Right now I can't get the "extrude depth to be zero" (1pt seems to be the minimum)
    14. Once a few shapes are "joined" is it no longer possible to select *inside*, pick one of the component shapes and bring it to front or send it to back (to change which ones look like holes and which not), or even move them around ?
    Last edited by Argax; 08 October 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Default Re: Eval user. A few questions

Saving custom character and paragraph styles. Does Xara have this where the user can save their own named combination of Font, font size, spacing, kerning, etc ?
    Not that I am aware of.
    Master pages ? (Add some text or some graphic on the master page and have it appear in all pages ?)

A Template would accomplish this but Xtreme does not have master pages in the same way as Illustrator
    I use shortcuts exclusively (coming from Illustrator). So once we are in text mode typing stuff, which key can get me out of text mode ? (in Illustrator the CTRL key will temporarily get me to selection mode and I can click out of the text)

The Esc key does this
    When I select objects, their corresponding layer is not being highlighted. Is there an option to make this happen ?

Not that I am aware of
    When selecting many objects at once (which may be on different layers) and then pasting them ... can the paste operation remember the original layers of the objects and put them there ?

No.
    Drag-copy ? Is it not possible pressing the ALT key while dragging an object to create a copy ?

In Xtreme there are several ways to do this. Drag and press the + key. Drag and right click to drop a duplicate. Or drag with the right mouse button and when you release a duplicate is dropped.
    In the middle of drawing a curve with the pen tool while dragging a handle bar to adjust curvature, is it possible to press a key and create a cusp right there and then on the spot ? In illustrator I can hold the ALT key causing only one side of the handle-bar to move. Not possible in Xara ?

No. But Xtreme draw with the Shape Editor Tool. You can set your default for Line (L) or Curve (C). If you select Curve each line segment is a curve which you can edit with the same tool as you draw. You can change the behavior of a selected control point by pressing S for smooth or Z for cusp join. The Shape Editor Tool is a lot more intuitive once you get used to it.
    Is it possible to have some pages in landscape and some others in portrait orientation ?

Yes. There is a utility in the Xara Xone Shareware page Xareg that permits you do have different sized pages.
    Is there a similar concept to "Graphic Styles" (from Illustrator) in Xara ... where the user can create their own lines, thicknesses patterns and save them in a list.

Not as such.
    Can we layer many strokes on a single line ? Say the top stroke is black at 0.5 thickness and the back stroke is white at 2pt thickness (creating short of a mask). Some lines may have 5 different strokes, or fills or combination). Not possible in Xara ?

Yes. And if you select the top line and press the Tab key you can travel back one layer at a time. The line attributes are displayed in the status line in the lower left hand corner. You can also hold down the Alt key and click to drill down one layer at a time per click.
    Also while adjusting a curve handle bar, I am used to pressing the space bar momentarily to relocate the point itself. Not possible in Xara?

No. The space bar is the shortcut the Push Tool (used to be the last selected tool toggle. You can reprogram this using the Custom Key Short Cuts menu in the Utilities menu.
    Is it possible to shift a curve thickness to one side (instead of it being right in the middle) ? Similarly is it possible to use the contour tool to create contours only on one side of a curve ?
    You can drag a selected control point. Contour Tool draws contour rings around the selected object. Sheesh you ask a lot of questions ). Once you have created a contour, convert it to editable shapes, ungroup the contour rings and move them anywhere you wish.
    About the 3d tool. Is it possible to rotate a thin black lined illustration in 3d without adding any colors, gradients, highlights, nothing ... just tilt the original. Right now I can't get the "extrude depth to be zero" (1pt seems to be the minimum)

The line becomes a bitmap. You can set the extrude depth and the bevel depth to 1 (the lowest setting) and you will get this effect but it is no longer a line, it is now a shape. If you insist, convert to editable shape, zoom in and break at points with the Shape Editor Tool.
    Once a few shapes are "joined" is it no longer possible to select *inside*, pick one of the component shapes and bring it to front or send it to back (to change which ones look like holes and which not), or even move them around ?
    Nope.
    Welcome to the Xtreme Conference by the way.

Welcome to TG.

You will get's lots of responses from a number of members on this one.
    Here are mine for what they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Argax View Post
    While test driving Xara (and briefly scanning some relevant portions of the help file) I have a few questions:
    1. Saving custom character and paragraph styles. Does Xara have this where the user can save their own named combination of Font, font size, spacing, kerning, etc ?
    2. Master pages ? (Add some text or some graphic on the master page and have it appear in all pages ?)
    1. No - Xara Xtreme is not a DTP.
      But you can create page one with a header etc then duplicate the page as many time as you wish, which will also duplicate the headrer etc.
      But if you change the header on page one, it won't change the other pages.

2. I use shortcuts exclusively (coming from Illustrator). So once we are in text mode typing stuff, which key can get me out of text mode ? (in Illustrator the CTRL key will temporarily get me to selection mode and I can click out of the text)
    Yes - all in the help file.
    F2 will take you to select mode, 'T' back to text mode.

4. When I select objects, their corresponding layer is not being highlighted. Is there an option to make this happen ?
No - but due to many user feedback threads on layers, could be addressed in the next version along with a layers revamp.

• When selecting many objects at once (which may be on different layers) and then pasting them ... can the paste operation remember the original layers of the objects and put them there ?
  • No

• Drag-copy ? Is it not possible pressing the ALT key while dragging an object to create a copy ?
  • Right-click-hold-drag creates a duplicate.
    Right-click-hold-drag-left-click creates as many duplicates as you (left)click.

• In the middle of drawing a curve with the pen tool while dragging a handle bar to adjust curvature, is it possible to press a key and create a cusp right there and then on the spot ? In illustrator I can hold the ALT key causing only one side of the handle-bar to move. Not possible in Xara ?
  • Double-click the node to toggle cusp or smooth (or press 'Z' or 'S') Also in the help file

• Is it possible to have some pages in landscape and some others in portrait orientation ?
  • Not natively - though there is a small program (XarReg) to (amongst other things) disable 'all pages the same' available at the XaraXone in the sharware section.

• Is there a similar concept to "Graphic Styles" (from Illustrator) in Xara ... where the user can create their own lines, thicknesses patterns and save them in a list.
  • Yes - 'brushes'

• Can we layer many strokes on a single line ? Say the top stroke is black at 0.5 thickness and the back stroke is white at 2pt thickness (creating short of a mask). Some lines may have 5 different strokes, or fills or combination). Not possible in Xara ?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Argax View Post
  • Also while adjusting a curve handle bar, I am used to pressing the space bar momentarily to relocate the point itself. Not possible in Xara ?
  • Select the point (node) with the shape editor (which you are already using to move the handles) and drag it to where you want it, ot user the keyboard arrow keys.

• Is it possible to shift a curve thickness to one side (instead of it being right in the middle) ? Similarly is it possible to use the contour tool to create contours only on one side of a curve ?
  • Yes - line 'profiles'. See help file

• About the 3d tool. Is it possible to rotate a thin black lined illustration in 3d without adding any colors, gradients, highlights, nothing ... just tilt the original. Right now I can't get the "extrude depth to be zero" (1pt seems to be the minimum)
  • Convert lines to shapes.

• Once a few shapes are "joined" is it no longer possible to select *inside*, pick one of the component shapes and bring it to front or send it to back (to change which ones look like holes and which not), or even move them around ?
  • For a group of shapes that have been locked by grouping, use the Ctrl+Left-click combination to select that shape.
    This is often best done in line-mode (wireframe)
    For an intersected hole (in other words it has been cut out of the whole) select the shape, with shape editor tool draw a select rectangle around the nodes that make up the internal 'hole, then you can move it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote IP

There you go! Gary was posting while I was replying.
    Two results already

Edit:
    I may have misunderstood point 12.

You can't use the 3D tool to rotate objects in a 3D space without an extrude being applied. This is because it is an '3D extrusion' tool rather than a 3D tool.
    You could use the mould tool to apply a perspective envelope?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 08 October 2008 at 11:10 PM.

I think that Argax wants just perspective correction of some shape, text whatever... so, you can do that and with mould tool (like a white flag in the left toolbar) and after finishing edits, just convert to curves and voila you continue to have editable vector shapes....

P.S. Why I think that you looking just for cheap 100% analog of Illustrator
    If you give it a litle time to Xtreme, and didnt try to do all the things like in illustrator you will be surprised what freedom you will have and how easy and flexible it is to work and create.......
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Good points minimiro

I will be interested to hear a thank you from Argax. Answering his litany of questions took quite a bit of time.

Wow, guys a lot of stuff going on here (good thing I checked manually, because I wasn't getting any email notification ... got to check my settings)

Sorry for burdening you with so many questions and great many thanks to gwpriester and sledger for painstakingly going through every single point bit-by bit. What a great group !

It will take me a little while to go through these, practice them and let them sink in.

Again, many thanks for your support guys !

-T

Answering his litany of questions took quite a bit of time
    I had more, but I trimmed it down
    Last edited by Argax; 10 October 2008 at 06:38 PM.

You're welcome. That's why we're here.

Perhaps the best reason for buying Xtreme is this forum. I'm not sure there is an Illustrator forum where you will get quick and thorough answers to your questions.

I'm not sure there is an Illustrator forum where you will get quick and thorough answers to your questions.
    From my experience with Illy, I doubt there is any quick way of doing anything. Many times I can open xara, edit what I need and export before Illy has finished loading...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

forgive me John but that smacks of hyperbole - and it is a total non-sequitur to Gary's post that you quoted, which refers not to the speed of the program but to that of forums.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

•  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast