Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mirrored Text - how to handle dangling letters

it gives the impression to me that the g is nearer the viewer than the rest of the letters - not to bad an effect in itself.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

yeah, I see what you mean... kerning the letters to either side to be closer would increase the effect. Neat!

If the text was a solid object placed on a mirror it wouldn't be level because of the decender. Just draw it like a solid body, It would tip...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I think it's because the bottom of the "g" in real life would be the only part of the text touching the ground.

So in a real reflection on a hard surface, the "g" would touch the ground and the rest of the text would be elevated above the ground.

If the image (text) is put on water, the same reflection would occur until the text is immersed into the water. Then, the bottom of the "g" would be distorted depending on the viewing angle.

Both images from a 3D program to illustrated the point. The text object is immersed in the water until the bottom of the "o" part of the "g" is immersed and the view is straight on view.

The first image shows a straight on view and the bottom of the actual text is distorted, especially the hanging portion of the "g."

The second image shows an angled view and it's shows a distortion of the hanging part of the "g" (the actual object)but more is viewable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	straightontext.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	52806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angledviewtext.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	52807  

Last edited by Regular; 11 October 2008 at 09:24 AM.

This view shows the text image setting on a hard surface, where the hanging portion of the "g" is actually is the part setting on the floor and the rest of the text is suspended above, because of the text shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textonhardsurface.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	52808  

Both of which are rather awkward and don't really work for me.

Makes more sense to choose a more suitable font, stick to upper case or frame the text and create a mirrored image of the lot.