Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pantone / CMYK matching question

Hi,

When I color an object in my document to for example: Pantone Orange 021c, xara sets the CMYK values of the object to: 0 53 100 0.

I have a pantone color bridge reference card and that says the closest CMYK values are 0 71 100 0.

I can't change the values because then the color has not the named pantone color label anymore. Is the 53 value the closest matching by the eye of Xara?

The problem is I want to supply an document that should be printed with 2 pantone colors, when that is not possible (magazine) it should be printed with the closest CMYK values.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Pantone / CMYK matching question

You can specify the color in Xtreme with the Pantone palettes found in the Color Gallery.

There are different formulas for arriving at a color match. And most graphics programs have differing formulas. But they are all more or less the same result.

Keep in mind that Pantone spot colors are intended to be printed as solid inks and not as mixed CMYK colors. Only about 50% of Pantone spot colors can be matched in CMYK. 25% of the colors will be close. And 25% are not even close.

Orange is a fairly easy color to match. Deep reds, blues, greens and some other colors are more difficult.

If you really have to have a perfect match, if possible have your printer use a Pantone spot color. Most printing presses today are 5-color presses which allow the use of a fifth color. This can be a varnish or a Pantone color.

Thanks for your answer. I indeed selected the pantone color in the color gallery, the only thing is that the when I change the values (because I want to put Magenta to 71, like on the mathing card) I loose the pantone palette link to the color.

If I use for example PitStop Pro in Acrobat and check the color it has no pantone information anymore. So I want to change the values, but keep the color as a pantone color...

CMYK formula 0 53 100 0 for PANTONE 021C is an old formula. You seem to use older version of Xara with old CMYK formulas. PANTONE changed the formulas some years ago. XX4 uses new CMYK formulas.

In Xtreme 4 it is reflected this way:
    PANTONE 021PC (from color bridge CMYK PC library): C0 M68 Y100 K0
    PANTONE 021EC = European version (from color bridge CMYK EC library): C0 M71 Y100 K0 (this is the color you want to use)
    PANTONE 021C (from solid coated library) = same as 021PC
    While in Adobe Illustrator:
    021PC: new formula (same as Xara)
    021EC: new formula (same as Xara)
    021C: old formula
    This brings chaos in imports/exports of graphics, as 021C has a different CMYK formula in Xara compared to Illustrator.

Solution to your problem is to choose PANTONE 021EC in XaraXtreme 4.

@Gary:
    Pantone oranges are not so easily matched in CMYK. (Specifically 021C has not even a close match.) That's why Hexachrome, 6-color print process with added orange and green, has been introduced.
    Last edited by Josie; 03 October 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo

@Gary:
    Pantone oranges are not so easily matched in CMYK. (Specifically 021C has not even a close match.) That's why Hexachrome, 6-color print process with added orange and green, has been introduced.
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Solution to your problem is to choose PANTONE 021EC in XaraXtreme 4.

This brings chaos in imports/exports of graphics, as 021C has a different CMYK formula in Xara compared to Illustrator.
    Thanks! I overlooked that, exactly what I needed. It was indeed exported from illustrator.
    solved.