Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Repelling Text Objects

I'm using Xara Xtreme Pro v4, which I've just purchased a little while ago.

I'm having a problem with the "Repelling Text" feature. I've read through help file, under the "Making an Object Repel" section and I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried to copy & paste text from a Word doc into the program, both in Rich text Format as well as unformatted text. I then drag an image over the text. I've followed the instructions below and the text does not repel. The image merely moves around the top of the text, leaving the text in place.
    I've right-clicked the body of the text and following the below instructions. I've also tried the same with the image, as it was positioned over the text, with the same results.

I am completely new to this software, and i am assuming it's something right in front of me.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    b1rd

Or right click on the object and select the same option in the right-click menu.

If desired, set a repel margin for the object. This determines the size of the margin between the edges of the object and the text that it repels. To close the dialog and turn on the repel text option click on "Repel".

To turn off repelling simply bring up the repelling properties dialog for the object and click on "Don't repel". Note that repelling text objects only repel text that is underneath the objects, not any text that is on top.

Note that single lines of text do not respond to repelling objects, only text areas and text columns do.

Default Re: Repelling Text Objects

Have you made certain that your pasted text is *inside* a text area rather than just pasted onto the page?

In other words. Using the text tool (T), draw a text area rectangle, then Ctrl+V (paste) the text into that area.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 29 September 2008 at 09:11 PM.

No, I did not know about that part.

Thank-you very much. I got it to work.

b1rd

I agree that it could be a little clearer stated in the Xara Xtreme help file, however it is mentioned there
    Glad you got it sorted anyhow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repellingtextareas+columns.png 
Views:	470 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	52499  

I even saw that, but I thought that meant you needed an "area" or column of text. In-other-words, more than a single line.

The learning curve is frustrating, especially when I'm eager to build some cool designs.

Thanks again.

b1rd

Talking Re: Repelling Text Objects

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Have you made certain that your pasted text is *inside* a text area rather than just pasted onto the page?

In other words. Using the text tool (T), draw a text area rectangle, then Ctrl+V (paste) the text into that area.
    Thanks - I'm trying to put together a few pages of illustrated poetry and I was beyond confused!

Apologies if I'm hijacking a thread, but is there a setting for a rectilinear repel, rather than a shape-based repel? I know a rectilinear repel can be achieved by other means, but whatever I've tried has made it fiddly to adjust the size of the text. I was doing a drop capital, in this instance -- a capital "S", in the top left corner (obviously) of the first paragraph, and wanted to be able to pull and push the "S" around while still having continuous and fluid left-justification of the repelled text.
    Anton

Using XXP v4.04966 w/Win XP

I have the same problem. Repel Text Under is not working.

I created a small square object. Right clicked and selected Repel Text Under and set the margin to 0pix. I then created a text area object (not a single line).

When I drag the square object over the text, the text is not repelled. I've tried both in same layer and on separate layers.

I turned Repel off, then back on. Nothing makes it work. What am I missing?

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 17 December 2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Converted AVI to flash and added to post

Hi Dixar,

If you created the rectangle first it will be below the text your created. Put the rectangle and the text on the same layer. Select the text area and then Ctrl+B to put the text to the back of the layer. Try move the rectangle over the text.

Your AVI file is still downloading, must be a hugh file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Dixar View Post
    Nothing makes it work. What am I missing?
    Hi Dixar,
    I've added your .avi to your post as flash for the forum to view more easily.

Dixar you have missed one important step by the looks of your video.
    That is, you have left the rectangle BEHIND (bottom) the text.
    For Text Repel to work, the repelling object (the rectangle) needs to be IN FRONT (on top) the text area - not behind.