Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE vs Firefox

Default IE vs Firefox

When Xara 4 arrived I made a test site using it. Everything looked, and worked fine until I viewed it in IE. The Home page is a single piece of colored letter with a .png with transparancy and then center tiled. The IE doesn't load all the graphics and hangs. I reported the problem some time ago and was told that it would be included in a patch.
    My questions are :
    Has any one had the same problem? Does any one kn ow if the new patch has solved the problem? If not does any one have a work round.

To see the problem please view the front page of www.managemoves.com in Mozilla and in IE (I run IE6)

Many thanks

Hugh

Default Re: IE vs Firefox

hi hugh, in ie 7 I get an offset of the disc/spiral which isn't there in firefox,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	52397  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Me too. I'm not sure if Xara has coded either degraded XML/HTML or IE isn't as advanced in the use of XMl/HTML.
    Do you have any ideas as to what I can do to resolve this, other than rewriting in CCS?
    IE seems to have a load problem. It seems to get hung up on a load and never gets to the tiling. The same problem seems to occur in the site. Watch the IE load bar. Mine never completes.
    Thanks
    Hugh

No problem loading the site here Hugh in IE7 7.0.6001/FF3 3.0.1/Opera 9.6/Safari 3.2/Google Chrome 0.2.1499

The offset tiling is present in IE7 but no other.
    IE7 loads your other pages fully here (1.5 mb DSL connection)

I suspect the problem comes with an out-of-date version of IE. I fully explored your site (VERY attractive, by the way) with IE-7.0.6001.78000.

Yep I get the offset problem in Firefox's IE tab (which equates to an older version of IE).

My stats suggest that between 60 and 75% of IE users are using v7.0, so not the end of the world I guess.

Many thanks for the feed back from all. I'll try to change some code and see if I can get a universal solution. Whatever I may say it would appear that with 80% of the world happy to use IE, I'm stuck with the lowest common denominator.
    I was interested to see the comment that Chrome was included a Post. Is Chrome fully XML/HTML and CSS integrated, or resisting some of the more new and interesting features like IE?
    Thanks
    Hugh

Actually it's a lot less than that now. Firefox is creeping up, and with other browsers the overall IE share is down to between 60 and 70% now (and falling it would seem).

Excellent site Hugo. Thanks for sharing your site with us.
    The red disc on the opening page with the gold text is amazing.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 26 September 2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Never easier. I think this was a standard 'Alien Skin' applied in Xara and exported as a JPG. Compressed at about 51% to try and get as decent a load time as possible. The text again was via XARA, an applied Alien Skin, grouped and then exported as a transparent .png or .gif.
    Then the whole thing was a test run in Xara to try to see what kind of site I could create. The whole thing took me some 6 hours to complete, but that was due to the need to experiment.
    The text surround bugged me for a while until I re read the instructions ...duh RTMS.
    Hugh