Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: SVG effects for Inkscape as a companion for Xara

He He ! Nice works ! No, Live Effects aren't invisible for my eyes and Yes I have fun with them !

Simply, SVG Effects are another kind of beast. You can play with them without knowing any code programming.

To apply some presets to an object (which can be a vector drawing made in Xtreme and exported in SVG or converted into a bitmap PNG), select it and go to Effects/Filters and chose an effect in the list.

Afterwards if you want change any settings, go to Object/Filter Effects. The Filter Effects Window will open and you will have to select what is called a Primitive (like Gaussian Blur, Displacement Map, Turbulence, Color Matrix...) in the Effects area and change the settings below (there are sliders too, like in Live Effects).

I must admit that some changes give unpredictable results for the newbie I am, but this exploration is addictive.

Afterwards you can export your shape in png and import it into XTreme... and eventually add some Live Effect to it.

kindly,
    ivan

Yes, I played around with Inkscape's filters. While I couldn't find the ones you used, I did play with the others. In typical Inkscape fashion, they are all somewhat good, but almost unusable due to the terribly low speed of things. Apply a fractalize path modification to a simple line. Inkscape almost crunches when you then do anything else in it. Useful Inkscape may be, but it's a good job it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Apply a fractalize path modification to a simple line. Inkscape almost crunches when you then do anything else in it.
    Did you try to work at lower quality display settings (File/Inkscape Preferences/Filters) ? I do it and don't zoom to close and it's much quicker !

And you can even disable displaying filters : View/Display Quality/No filters (I am not sure about appellations because I work with the French version).

kindly,
    ivan

A little bit closer to "Aqua"...

enjoy,
    ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquagels.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	52590  
    Attached Files Attached Files

A Textured Collection

enjoy,

ivan

Name:	texcoll1.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	52602  

For Xara Brushes addicts, here are those I created with the individual samples of the above textures.

enjoy !

ivan

Name:	texcoll2.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	52606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texcoll3.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	52607  

... it really is quite a shame Xara can't produce excellent effects like these. Oh wait...it can, and has for years now. I produced the effects below using the (apparently) invisible Live Effects tool ....
    Which live effect is that Xhris?

I think the reason why the live effects tools are almost invisible is that most of us have no idea how to use them. I take that back - I - dont know how to use them to any effect and most of the descriptions don't give much of a clue as to what they can do ......

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I produced the effects below using the (apparently) invisible Live Effects tool. All objects are vectors. The great thing is, if you want to edit the effects, you don't need to delve into code--just change a slider instead. You do however need the effects installed though.
    A bit cryptic indeed.

C'mon Xhris - elaborate pls

Huh, oh, I used two live effects. The first was to 'break' the shape up a bit into a bitty look; I used the Redfield Craquelure 3D one which I think comes with Xara. Then i just used the Alien Skin glass (bought) with various settings to give it the shiney 3D look. I didn't save the xar file as I thought people wouldn't have the LEs to play with it. It was just a quick job to show that the claim that Xara was deficient relative to Inkscape was in fact false.

Here: attached a quick xar file.
    Last edited by Xhris; 02 October 2008 at 09:03 PM.

It was just a quick job to show that the claim that Xara was deficient relative to Inkscape was in fact false.
    Where was that claim made then? I must have missed it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...