Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping Text

Post Wrapping Text

Ok. I exported a web page and I got an error:

"Internal program error 3127.k.xp.gn"

When I view the .html file the only thing that is missing is an image I imported from Adobe Illustrator, a .ai format. I understand that is probably the issue. Here's the issue though. The thing I created in that program was simply a sentence in an arc shape. I couldn't figure out how to make text in an arc. I tried to follow a tutorial that is actually in these forums somewhere. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9jreRjY7A

I couldn't follow the tutorial however. The person talked funny and I could barely understand him even with my volume up as high as it could go. Plus his tutorial didn't move all that smoothly. Mainly though, it's sorta difficult for me to follow video tutorials unless they are seriously step by step.

I saw that he took part of a circle and deleted parts of it, which I couldn't seem to find the button he was using..plus, I dont even know if I would succeed anyways cuz my guess is once I delete the line the text is wrapping around, the text will disapear too, but, it's just a guess...

I guess I need help to make it more clear how to wrap text around a curve and if there are requirments for the curve or text thats doing the wrapping.

Default Re: Wrapping Text

Text onto a curve without the funny voice, people from Essex are notoriouslly hard to understand, it would have been easier if he was from say Newcastle where they speak much clearer.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	etext.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	52247  
    Last edited by masque; 21 September 2008 at 07:30 AM.

OMG Thank you so much Masque that's perfect!!!

Actually just one question...how do you remove line? I don't understand what you said to do..I got the text to curve though.^^ Just cant get rid of what made the curve...lol.

Hi

with the object selected - rightclick on the hatched part of the colour bar at the bottom left of the window - if you get a menu select 'clear line colour'

the person who made that tutorial does have a strong regional accent - something to be proud of I think

Name:	here.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	52248  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Spunky View Post
    Actually just one question...how do you remove line? I don't understand what you said to do..I got the text to curve though.^^ Just cant get rid of what made the curve...lol.
    Select the text on a curve and right click on the hatched area at the left hand end of the colour line which will remove the colour from the line, though it's still there it will be invisible. To remove it all together you need to convert the text and the line to editable shapes and ungroup which will enable you to select the line with the selector tool and delete it, however the text will now not be editable as its been converted to a shape so make sure its how you wanted before doing this.
    Derek

Steve: SNAP

Name:	asd.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	52249  
    Last edited by masque; 21 September 2008 at 08:46 AM.

Ah sweet thank you!!

Ah shoot just one complaint. This doesn't entirely get rid of the circle/curved line, so I can't give the text a stroke color... If i do it a different way can I get a stroke on the text?

if having given the text an outline - you then convert to editable shapes and ungroup [you may need to do this twice] you can then select the curve separately and delete it

but this means your text is no longer editable as text though, so you may wish to make a copy first as backup

Derek may know a better way...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if having given the text an outline - you then convert to editable shapes and ungroup [you may need to do this twice] you can then select the curve separately and delete it

but this means your text is no longer editable as text though, so you may wish to make a copy first as backup

Derek may know a better way...
    No, thats pretty much what I said. Covert to editable shapes. Ungroup and select the line/curve/elipse and delete. You then have the text left, but this is no longer editable as text as its just a collection of shapes that look like letters, though you can now edit them as shapes ie. change fill or outline type and colour but you can't edit them as text, that is to say, add more text.
    Derek