Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MultiExport tool proposition

Hi
    Some time ago i proposed a tool to automate export.
    Now i decided to simpify the idea using existing solution where possible.
    So i wrote two scenarios below to explain how this tool could work.
    I suppose here are many users who design icons. I think such tool could be very helpful for them but not only for them.
    I realise there is a way to see exported-like bitmap on screen but such tool is much more functional.

Please threat this thread as a proposition of new functionality for Xara.
    I hope now I explained my idea more readable.

Please comment what you think...

Here is a google docs poll
    and google docs poll report

>>>

Here is the definition of new tool for Xara.
    Proposed name is MultiExporter.

Problem:
    Producing rendered icons is a common task. While designing an icon, designer needs to export icon almost everytime he change something on screen. Procedure of this export is more or less like this:
    1. make changes on icon design
    2. select object to export (it's probably proper sized rectangle on the layer beneath an icon)
    3. press ctrl+shift+E or select the function from menu
    4. put the name or select it from the list of files and click 'replace' if needed
    5. probably set something on export window and press export button
    6. if icon needs to be exported in many resolutions some additional steps need to be done for example set export size

So there are many steps to proceed exporting icon. If designer has many icons to render every step is going to be repeated for each icon and each time he decide to change something.

Imagine creating icons in few color schemes...

Grrrrrr

Solution:
    MultiExporter tool.
    I propose to put whole MultiExport GUI on new tab on Export window. It will be only a list of programmed exports, buttons such as 'Add to export' 'Remove', and text box for prefix/suffix (in the most simple version that's enough).

When icon is exported for the very first time designer needs to set name (as usual) then set all export params, additionally setting one extra param - prefix or suffix (which will become a name of this export set for example ... '_32x32') and then press 'Add to export' button.
    All params will be stored under a name set as prefix/suffix.
    Now user can set new set of export parameters like resolution, colors and so on - everything which is available on export window plus new prefix/suffix and then again 'Add to export' button can be clicked.
    Once every exports are ready then user can press new shortcut-key or select function from menu and all programmed exports will be performed without questions. The only question module will ask is a file name.
    Once filename is chosen exports are perfomed automatically using filename and prefix/suffix.

Here is google document containing above description
    Last edited by pixel; 19 September 2008 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: MultiExport tool proposition

almost 100 visitors and only one entry?
    come on guys

Sort of 'user defined export profiles' combined with 'batch exporting' ? - yes that could be useful

I don't make icons very often myself, but I can see instances where it would come in handy
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

sure it could be useful not only for icons

i'm sure xara experts could make it useful for many users

Sounds awfully complex to me, but maybe I'm just not getting it.

For icon sets, I use Axialis. Set up the first image at the proper size in Xtreme, export bitmap, import into Axialis, click a few buttons to get the additional iterations, and Save. That gives me the whole set, and I don't have to create all the specs myself.

Plus, I can see exactly what I'm getting at each size in Axialis, both in the preview and the editing window, so tweaks are easy when needed. Same goes for replacing an individual image.

The Multi-Export function sounds like a lot more work to achieve less functionality than a dedicated icon app would offer.

Have you tried a macro recorder? This is a good free one; http://www.freewarehits.de/RemoteKeys.htm

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Sounds awfully complex to me, but maybe I'm just not getting it.
    i gues so
    of course i don't feel it's complex but being honest
    what is complex in using standard export window with two extra buttons?

For icon sets, I use Axialis.
    but i'd like to pay for xara and have such functionality

amoore, MarkMyWords
    for sure i can get the same effect with probably 10 maybe even 20 apps but i love xara...

Set up the first image at the proper size in Xtreme, export bitmap, import into Axialis, click a few buttons to get the additional iterations, and Save. That gives me the whole set, and I don't have to create all the specs myself.
    this sound complicated
    anyway i see you point
    i would say everything is simple and easy when you used to use it

Quote Originally Posted by pixel View Post
    for sure i can get the same effect with probably 10 maybe even 20 apps but i love xara...
    So do we. That doesn't mean we want it to do everything under the sun. Then it would turn into bloatware, and we wouldn't love it so much.

There's nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job. Rather, it's the smart thing to do. You can ruin your can opener if you use it to drive nails.

In addition, hunting for the tool that will do what you need has some interesting benefits you may miss if everything you think you want is handed to you.

I use the Remotekeys macro maker in conjunction with Xtreme, not instead of it. Sure there is a limit to what it can do, but straight-forward repetitive tasks, like the one you mention should be easy enough for it to handle.

There's nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job. Rather, it's the smart thing to do.
    sure but...
    - buttons can be made in many external apps - but xara has this functionality
    - 3D objects...
    - animations...
    and so on and so on
    i think it's not the issue to have everything in one app
    the issue is to have everything what is useful and helpful for common tasks

but what i see from this thread
    noone wants it

MarkMyWords
    i'll try it... thanx

EDIT:
    geeeez this is heavy!!!
    for sure my idea is much much easier than the app you proposed
    i can see it may be useful but not for this task
    Last edited by pixel; 23 September 2008 at 09:30 PM.