Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .raf files and PSP X2

I have a Fuji camera and of course they have decided to make yet _another_ RAW file format, which PSP X2 does not seem to support.

What RAW formats _does_ X2 support, and is there a way to convert from raf to one that will work?

Thanks for any help

Nick
    IP

Default Re: .raf files and PSP X2

Unfortunately not. Adobe DNG converter is a good RAW format to convert to for many reasons, but X2 doesn't even support DNG, pretty sad really.

You might like to try the free RAW developer RAW THERAPEE and use this to create developed JPG file for loading into X2?

Here's a list of RAW Therapee supported cameras
    IP

Thanks, Steve.

I have tried Adobe DNG converter (only just discovered it after asking) , which I understand can convert from one RAW format to another (???)

The 8bi plugin that it uses should handle raf files. But I have tried a few from my camera using the programme (the plugin does not work in X2 ) and I get an error every time.

I will recheck the installation instructions.

Nick
    IP

Interesting to note that PaintShopPro X actually did support reading/opening .DNG Raw images.
    Corel are probably slowly retiring PSP by removing features aiming to ween people off PSP and into PhotoPaint?
    IP

Sorreee..I got the later version of the dng converter to work..then I read your post properly.

As you say, that's not too good.

Nick
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Interesting to note that PaintShopPro X actually did support reading/opening .DNG Raw images.
    Corel are probably slowly retiring PSP by removing features aiming to ween people off PSP and into PhotoPaint?
    Goodness! That is "not nice play" in my book.

Sorry these messages are getting a bit confused. You are replying really fast, and I am posting "on the fly", but I think we are ok so far!

Nick
    IP

Thanks for the pointer on Raw Therapy. A basic but capable programme. I took a couple of RAW shots of my (as usual opened) PC, and I was able to drag quite a bit more detail out of it.

I am going to convert to jpeg without any manipulation and see what difference there is working in X2 with jpeg

I actually converted the charcoal in X2 back to Classic, though. Black writing on a grey background just does not do it for me.

Nick
    IP

As you know, RAW is the unprocessed (light) data as directly recorded by your camera CCD sensor (or CMOS in higher end cams.)
    This data contains much more image information than a processed JPG thus giving you much more freedom than JPG ever could when it comes to 'manipulation'..
    There was a recent discussion regarding RAW (The Digital Negative)

Basically, PXP X2 can never bring out life from a JPG that it could if it supported your cameras RAW container because so much data has already been thrown away (even if you made no development adjustments in Raw Therapee, it just threw away what was no longer required to create a JPG at those current image development settings).

It's very worthwhile to spend some extra time with your RAW files in a dedicated RAW developer because I found that not only are my end results much better, but it teaches me how to do better at the camera level when I'm taking the original shot.

RAW developing is also non-destructive, just like the old film negatives, the digital negative is left untouched ready for future re developement with different settings should you wish.
    IP

Thanks for that Steve.

I will check out that link. I had a fairly shallow idea of what the game was in theory. It's just seeing what actually happens.

I can see where if you use RAW you are seeing exactly what you got: the best the camera can do with what you asked of it.

The feature I found most useful so far in my first foray into RT was the option to actually blacken washed out bits and whiten totally null bits as you work .

I am going to do some moon shots when it stops raining. I did some the other day and processed them in X2. When I tried the same thing in RT, I was amazed at much of the camera's spectrum it covered.

Nick
    IP

Steve,

I read that other thread, right through until it disappeared up its own fundament! <G>

In there somewhere you mentioned that RAW could be used to get rid of PF in a way that could not be done in JPEG. Can you expand on that?

Incidentally, while RT does support RAF, it does not support the super CCD system, so all of my files are pink. Can't win.

Thanks for any help

Nick
    IP