Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I Move Workspace Settings?

I just installed Xtreme on a second computer. I have my "Work Space" organized in a familiar way, along with specialized "Control Boxes" on my old machine and I'd like to "transport" those settings to the new one. Anybody know if this can be done and if so, how?

Thanx
    Last edited by Zupdude; 15 September 2008 at 11:29 PM.

Default Re: Want to move Workspace Settings

Please be more specific about what you are wanting to achieve. I do not know what you mean by specialized control boxes.

My guess would be to use Regedit and export the Xara Xtreme hive from your older machine to a .reg file and then import that onto your new machine.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

"Specialized Control Boxes" are the ones I made with the "Button Palette." As an example, I created a control box that I called "Most Used" which, of course, was populated with the buttons I often use. I also use CorelDRAW, which allows me to save my entire "Workspace" including the buttons, shortcuts and program preferences. They do this by saving that information to a data file. Xara may have tackled this feature differently (assuming they did tackle it) but in any event, I don't know how to employ it, if they did.

Thanks for your response about this. If this explains what I want to do better and you don't know how, or if, I can go about doing this, could you more fully explain the procedure you mentioned in your reply post?

Tip-O-The-Hat and thanks again.

If you are not familiar with the Windows Registry editor, it may not be something you want to try.

The usual warnings about making changes to the registry can damage your system and make it unusable apply, so use the following at your own risk.

1. Click the Windows Start button (or Windows logo if using Vista).
    2. Click on the Run menu.
    3. Type regedit and hit the enter key.
    4. In the left pane of the registry editor expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER node.
    5. Expand the Software node
    6. Expand the Xara node
    7. Expand the XaraXtreme node if using standard version or Expand the XtremePro node if using Xtreme Pro.
    8. Expand the 4.0 node.
    9. Click on the BarsNormal node to select it.
    10. Right click the BarsNormal node to open the popup menu.
    11. Click on Export.
    12. Enter a name for the .reg file then click OK.

Copy the .reg file to your new computer, use your network, a flash drive, or floppy disc. Which ever method you have available.

On your new computer open Windows Explorer and navigate to where the .reg file is located. Double click the .reg file and answer yes to the prompt that opens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barsnormal.gif 
Views:	241 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	52081  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Holy Cow! How the heck did you figure that one out? ...I haven't actually transfered the info to the new machine, but I assume that it will work. Jeeze!

Do you think they might work on this one for future versions? In the near future I'm going to be setting up an office away from my home (the office is now in my basement). I know this trick now, so [I assume] this won't be an issue for me, but I imagine there are a good many folks that wouldn't be comfortable doing this.

Maybe I'm just being a brat, but it would be better if I could have the same 'workspace' on both machines... Part of working quickly is being familiar with exactly where everything is on the screen. Also, I've created and organized those control boxes to suite the way I work. I know it wouldn't be so hard to just duplicate the layout on the new machine, but it would be nice to be able to somehow just save the settings. Again, I know it's not a major issue, but it would be helpful when I change machines, upgrade the OS or upgrade Xtreme when the time comes.

Thanks again for your help... and another Tip-O-The-Hat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zupdude View Post
    but it would be nice to be able to somehow just save the settings. Again, I know it's not a major issue, but it would be helpful when I change machines, upgrade the OS or upgrade Xtreme when the time comes.
    Upgrading isn't an issue in version 4 (and I will assume beyond) as your current settings are retained.
    When you open the upgraded version for the first time, Xtreme also asks you if you want to accept the new defaults of not.

Personally, it takes me only a minute to restore my tool bar preferences. I don't even bother with custom hot keys, I'm happy to work with the Xtreme defaults.

In case you want to play with this a little more: moving the hive didn't work. I'd be interested to know how to work this out, but I've already reworked my workspace, so it would just be academic for me. If you figure something else out, please post it here; it would be good to know for future reference. On the other hand, putting it to rest would be understandable too!

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Upgrading isn't an issue in version 4 (and I will assume beyond) as your current settings are retained.
    When you open the upgraded version for the first time, Xtreme also asks you if you want to accept the new defaults of not.
    Granted, but I've already upgraded to 4 and I change hardware more often that I do software. For me, this would present itself more often when changing the OS or a hard drive. ...and like I said: I'm a brat!

Personally, it takes me only a minute to restore my tool bar preferences. I don't even bother with custom hot keys, I'm happy to work with the Xtreme defaults.
    I don't change Tool Bar preferences; I change and build custom Control Boxes and I place them so they're convenient for ME. The same is true for the shortcuts... You know... Preference! Also, if you think about it, you set preferences too... but your's takes less time to set up!

Quote Originally Posted by Zupdude View Post
    I don't change Tool Bar preferences; I change and build custom Control Boxes and I place them so they're convenient for ME.
    Terminology - 'tis what I were meaning

If you had Xara Xtreme open on your new machine when you double clicked the .reg file the changes would not take effect because most applications only read the registry at startup.

The changes (your choice of control bars and custom boxes from your old machine) made by the .reg file would have been over written with the active control bars when you closed Xara Xtreme.

Any time you are transferring a .reg file with settings from one system to another always make sure the application affected is closed before double clicking the .reg file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update