Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Allignment help needed

Hello,

I have 6 imported jpegs which are all exactly 175 x 175 pixels. I am trying to align them up with each other so that the 6 images build a single rectangle - 3 across the top and 3 across the bottom with no space in between the images. I am having a hard time getting them exactly aligned so that they butt up against each other without any overlap or thin white space between them. Surely there must be a way to do this more easily? Now I am zooming way in and trying to align them by dragging them into place. They always seem to be slightly off though. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Kurt

Default Re: Allignment help needed

Something to note is that in Xara disparate objects can look like they have tiny white gaps between them (or gaps the color of your page), even if they're both directly adjacent. However when you export your drawing, they're not really there.

I don't know if it's a rendering artifact or something that they do on purpose so that you can still distinguish the outlines of your objects.

As long as your objects are on whole pixel locations, you're probably fine. To be sure, you can enter the locations manually. Note that by default the Y axis start with 0 on the bottom of the page, and items are referenced by their lower left corners.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

when I have to do something like this I just use 1 horizontal and 1 vertical guide. I slap one pic at the intersection of the two guides, then turn on snap to guides and drop the other one close enough. Then I just move both and drop the next picture... until I get my rectangle.

It is quick and easy for me... see attached picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1align.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	51938  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

It's easy. Turn on Magnet. Select one of your pics and drag guides to the edges of this pic. The select the second pic and drag to the crossing guides - it will snap right to the one of edges of the first pic, etc... Very easy.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Thanks so much for the responses. The guide lines worked like a charm! This will be a huge help for future projects.

On another note, I can't get my grid to turn on. I go to WINDOW>SHOW GRID but nothing happens and no grid lines appear. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Kurt

Make sure your grid sizes is not bigger than the page. Although you really have to try to get it set badly enough that it doesn't show.

There are no grid lines as such, just points. The Guide lines are created by dragging off the rulers, but they are shown differently from the grid.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

As Keith says the grid consists of points. They are blue. The guide lines are red.

See attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid.gif 
Views:	168 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	51974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guides.gif 
Views:	169 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	51975  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Any shape drawn on the guides layer becomes a guide... circles, squares, anything.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

My question about the grid was referring to the blue lines and no the red guides we were speaking about earlier. Anyway, for some reason the grid was set at 50cm spacing and that is why they could not be seen. I changed back to 50pix spacing and now they show up just fine. Thanks very much for the help.

Kurt