Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default screen layouts in cs3 help please

create a new document chose file>new on the top menue,give it dimesions of 640 by 480 or 600 by 800. resolution of 72 dpi.

to set the units lets go to Edit>preferances>units on the top menu. Ensure that it is set to pixels. (couldnt find this anywhere)

Activate rulers from the top menu go to view>rulers to activate them.

Activate the guidesthese are constriction lines that you place on the canvas to help you line up your images. turn on view>show> guides

Add snapping from the view menu turn snap on with the toggle menu. ok snap is ticked.

note:

says photoshop has a grid that is useful to give diminesions on-screen and allow you to snap items to it. in this case the gird isnt centralised. to set the grid up go t top menu Edit>prefrances>grid using the dialogue box chose 20 pixels and subdivison of 1. then use view>show>grid.

i have a batonman.icon pic saved and it says here that he is 113 pixels and therefore a row of 3 is 339px,ad we decide to start the images 60px down the page. the rest is a simple calculation.

we set horizontal guide at 60px

choose view>new guide from the top menu and select the horizontal radio button and write 60px in the box.

setting the lower horizontal rules

now we need to set a lower horizontal rule.
    chose view>new guide from top menu select the horizontal radio button. the measurement down from the top of the page needs to be 60 pixels plus 339 pixels so enter 399 in the box.

Setting the vertical guides

for the vertical guides we choose a similar option for the surrounding icons.
    set them again to 60 pixels and 399 pixels. you should now have an outline box.

I do but it isnt lineing up at all!

now add 2 more horizontal and vertical guides. at 113 pixel intervals. This is for creating the placeholders for the icons.

i am given an image in my tutorial it should look like and thereis no way I can get the image icons to snap to the grid and be at 113 pixels by 113 pixels.

open up each icon in turn and press ctrl a to copy them drag with the mouse and move till they snap to grid. how do they snap to grid.

change sizes if necessary with the ctrl +T button.

after finishing this i have to make a background colour and title. also a fill layer.

can anyone help me please?

the final image the tutor has given me is 6 icons in a very neat grid. i cant get it to do that at all any advice welcome thanks!
    Last edited by pixel_uk; 05 September 2008 at 07:05 PM.
    IP

Default Re: screen layouts in cs3 help please

Hi welcome to TG

" to set the units
    lets go to Edit>preferances>units on the top menu. Ensure that it is set to pixels. (couldnt find this anywhere)"

in CS3 this should be in 'Edit>Preferences>General>Units and Rulers' I think

"Activate the guidesthese are constriction lines that you place on the canvas to help you line up your images. turn on view>show> guides (guides are showing up as grey) I cant open this option up!"

if this is greyed out then there are likely no guides set up to activate - they need to be set first - have you missed out a step, or started a series of tutorial part way through?

to set a new guide 'view>new guide' select which type you want and the position and click ok - you can drag these to change position using the move tool afterwards...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I have included the whole tutorial as it was given to me. I am wondering if the tutor had left out some of the details. The course tutor is ignoring any replies and the company forgot to inform me she had gone on holiday. (not good!). I have sent back 2 corrupted cds first had a win.32 virus on it the second the photo files needed are missing from the cd and no appologies either.

I keep trying but I am having to paste ctrl + A the pictures into photoshop on a blank document 72 resolution and 600*800 pixels and then moving the grid lines around the images. so I am doing the whole tutorial back to front.
    I dont have any further details of what to do.im not a quitter by longshot I've managed to get through the other tutorials and found myself correcting the tutors work. eventhough I am a novice at it all!)
    so if i dont pass and get a grade as ive had 3 and a half months wait for a tutor response.
    IP

Unhappy Re: screen layouts in cs3 help please

I still cant free up the show>guides menu i only have smart guides allowed. it wont appear in anything other than grey any ideas?

i only have the above tutorial and followed it through I can think of anything I am doing wrong. The tutor doesnt reply and refues to reply only contacts after 14 days and she doing a good job of going on holiday and the company forgetting to inform me as a student of this. its meant to be the top worldwide opne university but ive had corrupted cds one with a major virus on it. a 3 month and a 1/2 wait no appogies and missing files on a cd. i had to send back as all the image files werent there for the tutorials.

I feel upset as I want to do this course and...frustrated at being let down by it all.

thanks
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pixel_uk View Post
    I still cant free up the show>guides menu i only have smart guides allowed. it wont appear in anything other than grey any ideas?
    don't worry about it

first you have to set the guides as in:

" we set horizontal guide at 60px

choose view>new guide from the top menu and select the horizontal radio write 60px in the box. "

have you done this?

its a new document - until you have set guides you cannot show them, they are not there - you would only need to do this later if you reopened the document and the guides were not then showing.....

attached is the CS3 menu to set new guides which gives you the dialog box also shown in which you set the guide and position that you want

also shown are the two preferences links that are quoted incorrectly [for CS3]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cs3 vng.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	51755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cs3 prf.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	51756  

Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I have set the first horizontal rule now to 60px thanks

I am now unsure how to set the lower horizontal rules.

I am doing them through the new guide selection and the horizontal radio button.

and finally the vertical rules.

I was trying to set by using the vertical radio button.

(just wanted to sat thanks for being selfless in helping me this far & taking the time to do so, it is appreciated!)
    Last edited by pixel_uk; 05 September 2008 at 10:39 PM.
    IP

glad to help - the tutorial as you quote does not seem very clear at all - let us know how you get on
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

well I have tried the tutorial. it is illegible. I am at my wits end and I have had a reply from the tutor but she bypassed any of my queries justs aying term time ends ina year as to when I paid for my course fees. I have given the univeristy a warning and then I will be forced into taking legal action against them. They have left me no choice as the literature is all wrong. I also received a cd witha virus on it and the second cd she has forgotten to send me any of the image files 'd'oh' not very bright huh. so when I asked for these I was put on hold and they hung up on me saying 'I was a problematic student'
    I don't see it as problematic to complain if you got a win.32 virus on your computer from a tutors cd lol! it took ages to reinstall and I had to get a frined who is a It Techy to fix it. tookt them 2 days!
    I have managed to do the tutorial, I had to take their images resize them myself in paint. also use random images from google, where I should have the tutors image files already on file which they were meant to resize for me.
    I wont recommend the place to anyone evn if they are quote as A*.

sorry about my rant but I feel deflated.
    IP

heys guyz, didnt want to start a new topic.. i recently installed photoshop cs3, i am self taught but there is a few things i cant seem to find in this new version..

first off (i have a mac) i used to drag layers from one picture to another but i cant seem to do this now cause i cant drag the layer somewhere (there used to be like small previews of all the opened files)

if you go to image-> adjustments there used to be an option where you could adjust the contrast.. its not there anymore, there is only an option for auto contrast but you cant set how much contrast you want or not.. is there any other option?

and it seems that if im working on a file with multiple layers and say i want to choose a layer and go to one of its sides and make it smaller i doesnt work now.. the cursor doesnt change all i can do is just pick the layer and move it around...

any help is welcome, thnx in advance
    IP

Hi welcome

It probably should be a separate topic - if so a mod will move it

I don't have a mac so there may well be differences, anyway for what its worth on windows:

make sure the layer palette is open - [in windows this is: window> layers or keystroke f7] - make sure the layer you want to drag is visible and not locked and then you should be able to drag the layer from the palette onto the window of another document

in windows the contrast adjustment is: image>adjustments>brightness/contrast - it will be there on the mac somewhere, help section should tell you

not sure exactly what you mean by the resizing question - are you trying to manipulate the contents of a layer only, or the whole document?
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP