Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question from Newbie

Hi welcome Sewcrazy

the second image you posted is large because it is 300dpi

the first image is 72dpi which is fine

96dpi is the maximum that is necessary - any higher tends to make the image too big
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Sewcrazy View Post
    Another fellow Canadian...
    Not quite, I'm actually British, but have lived in Canada since 1991.
    ...You live in my step-Mom's neck of the woods. She's in Smith Falls.
    Know it quite well. Have visited there a number of times. Especially the Hershey Chocolate Factory. Mmm!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    SewCrazy,

Here's a quick sample of what you can do with Xara Xtreme after some practice and only using the 'Shape Editor', 'Rectangle', 'Ellipse', 'Text' and 'Fill' tools. The lines were modified using profiles from the 'Line Gallery'. Other tools that came in handy were the 'Group/Ungroup', 'Put to Front' & 'Put to Back' and the 'Clone' shortcuts.

Look for, and view the many tutorials on the above subjects and you should be well on your way with a little practice. Xara Xtreme really does make graphic creation and editing easy and fun. It does take a little effort on your part, though, so dig in, take a look at the examples, and ask away here on TG when you get stuck.

I modified the bear's message a bit ( ), although I do enjoy reading as well.

I look forward to seeing your efforts,
    HayTay
    Hi HayTay:

You make it all look so easy. Okay I've written down they keywords for the tuts that I'm going to look for. When I get something accomplished, I will share my creatiion.

I do have one question. Did you use my pic as a template and worked on top of it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi welcome Sewcrazy

the second image you posted is large because it is 300dpi

the first image is 72dpi which is fine

96dpi is the maximum that is necessary - any higher tends to make the image too big
    Thanks Steve...I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I kept changing the size, but nothing was happening when I posted it. I guess I was changing the pixels, but not the dpi. Learn something new everyday

Hi and welcome Sewcrazy. I hope you find Xtreme the software you're looking for. I've changed the size of your clipart image so it matches the first post.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg:

Thanks for the welcome and thanks so much for changing my huge graphic for me. It certainly looks much nicer now.

I stumbled upon XaraXtreme when I was hunting for graphics. Got talking with the lady who had the graphics that I like and she convinced me to give it a try. Said most of her clipart starts as photos and her work is beautiful. So here I am and I'm going to give this 100%!
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 September 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

Cheers Sewcrazy. If you click on the search link at the top of the page and choose advanced search then enter "embroidery" and choose Xara Xtreme forums, this turns up quite a lot of posts. Not 100% sure it'll all be of use to you but give it a try. Click here for an example.

As an aside, it's not really necessary to quote earlier posts in your reply. Post extracts of post by all means but not the whole post.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You make it all look so easy.
    It actually is very easy with Xara Xtreme. You just need to add some practice, patience, study, and determination. For what you're trying to do you can get 'up to speed' with XX very quickly. Oh, and did I mention it was FUN!

Did you use my pic as a template and worked on top of it?
    Exactly. I used the embroidered bear as the pattern/template in order to recreate them using the previously mentioned tools. One 'secret' I forgot to mention is the 'Transparency' tool. You can use it to fade your shapes to better see what you're trying to reproduce. Once you get the shape to your liking you can remove the transparency, or keep it, whatever your preference.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your creations,
    HayTay

Default Re: Question from Newbie: digitizing machine embroidery designs

Sewcrazy,

Just wondering how you were getting along with Xara Xtreme and any of the associated tutorials? Figured you would probably have some questions by now or need something explained more clearly or differently. Don't be afraid to ask if you need some assistance. TG has lots of help on standby.

Keep at it,
    HayTay