Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Viewing Thumbnails

I am having a problem viewing thumbnails. In Painter X, the Open dialog box will show Rif thumbnails but not Jpeg thumbnails. In other file viewer programs (such as ACDSee) I can see the Jpeg thumbnails but not the Rif thumbnails.

Is there any viewer capable of showing both Jpeg and Rif thumbnails?

Steve S.
    IP

Default Re: Viewing Thumbnails

Hi Steve,

This may help:

Go to The PainterFactory.

Click the Talk tab at the top of the screen.

Scroll down to the Worker Blogs category and click sp!log to enter Steve Szocei's blog.

At the top, you'll see information and download links to two viewers, one for Painter X in Windows and one for Painter X on Macs.

Also, if you're using WinXP (and even before installing the viewer provided by Steve Szoczei), at the top of any Open dialog, click the last icon on the right to choose the option to view non-RIFF graphics files as Thumbnails. (This also works in Windows Explorer.)

With the Icon Handler for Windows installed, you'll see RIFF file thumbnails as well as JPG, GIF, PSD, and other format files. As the viewer name implies, we can also choose the Icon option to view files as icons... which I never use since Thumbnails works so well and the icons are too tiny to be much use. (This also works in Windows Explorer.)

I'm not a Mac user so unable to give you any information on the Quick Look Plugin viewer, but you can ask Steve Szoczei or another Mac user how it works.

#
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Smile Re: Viewing Thumbnails

Jinny, thanks much for your help.

The Win XP is a partial solution because with Thumbnails selected in the Open Dialog box, Jpegs show as Thumbnails in the list, but Rif files only show in the open preview window.

However, Steve Szoczei's plugin works great.

Thanks again.

SteveS
    IP

Default Re: Viewing Thumbnails

SteveS,

I think you'll find RIFF thumbnails show up if they're saved from Painter X or Painter X.1 and you're looking in the folder where they were saved.

Works for me in WinXP Home SP2 using Painter X.1 and as far as I can tell, any RIFF files saved in Painter X also show up as thumbnails (not only in the Open dialog upper right corner where they've always appeared).
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP