Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: X2 and RAW

Default X2 and RAW

The Help implies that I can open RAW photos, and names Fuji as one of the camera makers that use this.

However, I have a Fuji s100FS bridge camera, and when I try to open the RAW files, X2 says "not recognised"

What's the situation? Do I need to throw a switch, or is there a way around this?

Any help appreciated.

Nick
    IP

Default Re: X2 and RAW

X2 version 12.01 has a build date of 30th October 2007.
    The Fuji s100FS was released in Jan/Feb 2008. I would assume that Fuji RAW specification has changed leaving X2 unable to recognise the file format at this time.

Corel PSP X2 RAW Support
    IP

Thanks Steve.

Believe me I have read the DPReview on my camera, along with at least a dozen others, before I bought.

Mean trick by Fuji then. Obviously I need to study up on RAW formats, and it might not hurt if there was a standard, as there is for most other formats.

I will have dig around and see if there is some sort of converter.

Nick
    IP

"The nice thing about standards - is there are so many to choose from"

RAW is as standard as AVI or EPS.
    In other words, RAW is basically a 'container' rather than a format. Each camera manufacturer has it's own file extention for it's own personal RAW data format. (.pef for PENTAX, .crw for CANON, .raf for FUJI, .nef for NIKON and so on)

Adobe are attempting to standardize this by introducing the Digital Negative .DNG - infact some camera manufacturers are now using this.

However, for now it's less than ideal.

Although I have X2 installed, I only use Lightroom for RAW developement.
    Silkypix is a second best imho, there's even a freeware version which supports your Fijui cam
    IP

I assume you got thge Fuji S2 utility software with your camera or Maybe a newer one Since i got my S9600. Its not just makes differing but even models, though that might not be very true as the software looks for the camera model in the images headers if it regonises it it will open the correct format. An example was that Nikon D80 could be opened just by changeing the header to read D70 But this may not always be the case. Add to that PSP's Raw handeling is not the best. A good converter will allow colour,exposure,contrast ect corrections to be made before the image is converted. PSP converts based on the setting used by the camera at the time of taking which means you get little more then letting the camera convert to Jpeg at the time of shooting.
    IP

My experience confirms all the comments so far - it is better to use the camera-supplied software to process the RAW images from that specific camera and then save it to a format that PSPP X2 recognizes for further work. I have the same situation - X2 supports the Canon 400D RAW format, but not the 450D format (the 450D came out in spring this year).
    JerryB
    IP

RightyHo! I will work that way. Thanks

I have not started much RAW yet. I know the ups and downs (big files, low saves, but much better results and I choose the compression). But I only just got a RAW camera.

Nick
    IP