Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Another brush annoyance

Is it just me, or does the pressure sensitivity on the built-in airbrush not work correctly for others as well as me when using tablets? When I chose that brush, and then forcefully press my stylus on my Wacom and start drawing a line, Xtreme doesn't immediately respond to the pressure. I get the response illustrated in the example below--the first bit acts like the stylus isn't pressed hard, even though it is. In Photoshop and other programs, the pressure response is always dead-on, but not in Xtreme.

Of course, this is even more annoying because, as far as I know, Xtreme doesn't give you any way to edit the pressure aspect of the line after it has been drawn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	51409  
    IP

Default Re: Another brush annoyance

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Is it just me, or does the pressure sensitivity on the built-in airbrush not work correctly for others as well as me when using tablets? When I chose that brush, and then forcefully press my stylus on my Wacom and start drawing a line, Xtreme doesn't immediately respond to the pressure. I get the response illustrated in the example below--the first bit acts like the stylus isn't pressed hard, even though it is. In Photoshop and other programs, the pressure response is always dead-on, but not in Xtreme.

Of course, this is even more annoying because, as far as I know, Xtreme doesn't give you any way to edit the pressure aspect of the line after it has been drawn.
    I'm using an Intuos 3 with the latest drivers. Pressure sensitivity worked first time for me (XXP 4, latest updates).

Try opening your Wacom Tablet Properties (In the Control Panel), now click on the Grip Pen. On the left side you see the 'Tip Feel' slider. Try adjusting that from it's current settings. I have mine set to one mark to the left of centre. Whatever works, it's probably different for you. Just try experimenting.

The other thing to try is experimenting with Xara's 'Edit Brush' parameters.

I hope that gives you some things to at least try. Also, maybe you changed and reset some settings for the Air Brush and saved them as the default?

Cheers
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Improv View Post
    Try opening your Wacom Tablet Properties...
    Tried it, but no change. If that had been the case, Photoshop would not work correctly.

The other thing to try is experimenting with Xara's 'Edit Brush' parameters.
    That doesn't fix it either. Thanks for trying, though.
    IP

I get the same results as you David. The starting pressure is ignored.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I do not currently have a tablet connected so I cannot test this but there is a registry edit that may help.

Xtreme Pro:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\4.0\Opti ons\PenSupport\PressureMode

Xtreme:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtreme\4.0\Opt ions\PenSupport\PressureMode

Change that value of 0 to 1.

In earlier versions that helped with my old Wacom Graphire tablet.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

works fine for me

that said - I recall it did not work anything like as well before I upgraded my system, so graphics drivers/card may be implicated [an xtreme rendering issue perhaps?]

[assume you have the latest drivers for your tablet/OS]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    works fine for me

that said - I recall it did not work anything like as well before I upgraded my system, so graphics drivers/card may be implicated [an xtreme rendering issue perhaps?]

[assume you have the latest drivers for your tablet/OS]
    I allways had this kind of problem with any tablet driver and any graphic card. It occurs not only at the beginning of the curve but also alsewhere on it and is only a little bit ameliorated with tablet settings.

Even Charles reckognized it as a bug a long time ago (I don't remember the thread unfortunately but that was perhaps about two years ago) and he said it must be adressed but it needs core reprogramming in the brush engine.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

ivan thanks

I was on nvidia FX5200 now on Geforce 7200 - with intel core duo and 2GB DDR2 - windows XP home

I'll look out for any re-occuring problems as you describe - but I don't use the brush much - just spent a few minutes with it to test for David. Last time would have been Sledgers smoke challenge I think.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me. I hope they get on that brush rewrite quickly--it would be nice to see this, and some other things, fixed.
    IP