Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flatten an image?

Hi All,
    Brand new here,
    quick question, I created a "drawing" and would like to combine the lines, so that I may apply effects to the whole image. How do I make the lines become one image?
    Thanks......

Default Re: Flatten an image?

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference, greenbug.

Unlike a bitmap editing program such as Photoshop where you can flatten or merge layers into a single layer, Xara is a vector drawing program and each object is in essence on its own layer.

The only way you can merger layers in Xtreme is to export or create a bitmap copy of your image. But the objects remain on separate layers in the Xtreme document and can be modified or edited at any time.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 13 August 2008 at 01:20 PM.

The simple way to do what you want is to group the objects you want to apply an effect to, like transparency, a drop-shadow or a Phtooshop filter. Just remember though, that if you ungroup them, you will lose the effect. You can still CTRL+Click on an object in a group to select it, so its not all bad.
    If you want to combine multipel objects into a single object or use one object to cut a shape out of another, you can use the Combine commands in the Arrange menu [that's where Group/Ungroup lives, too].

note:

if you group objects that are on more than one layer - they will all be moved onto the one layer to form the group

if this is not acceptable, you can select all the objects and copy them to a new layer [or file] and make the group there - that way your original layer integrity is preserved.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The OP has made no mention of layers ata ll and I can't see why what he describes wouldn't just be on a single layer. In fact, I struggle to understand why so many people seem to use layers all the time at all, its just an unnecessary complication to workflow 99% of the time.

agreed no mentioned is made of layers - so it could be either, so worth pointing out I thought

surely there is nothing to struggle about - clearly you undertake work that does not require the use of layers, whilst many other people do require them.

some good examples were given in the previous thread where this was raised were there not?

[that's a rhetorical question - this could get off topic very quickly ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Rereading the question (smack upside the head! ) I think Greenbug is asking (are you still around Greenbug or have we scared you off?) how to make lines into objects that she or he can fill.

If this is the case forgive us for bloviating on the wrong solution.

Select your lines, in the Arrange menu, select Convert Lines to Shapes.

And if you want to make several lines that are now shapes into one continuous shape, Arrange > Combine Shapes > Add Shapes.

Now you can apply any kind of fill to the combined line.

Alright, so this thread is old but this morning it has been very helpful to me. Now check this out, I was able to group the layers together. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy! (loving Xara) Now I want to color the letters. Problem is, the original logo was a png file so I could copy the color. I need to figure out how to match the color of the logo so I can color some of my text. Is there any way to do this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo3-1.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	114271 Also, how do I fill in the background so that it's all white?

Yeah. Suggestion is to redraw such a simple logo and use type. If you want a white background to it, then just draw a rectangle behind the logo and fill with white.

Ha, yeah, simple to draw when you are an artist. I'm no artist but I might try that anyway.