Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to eliminate white background?

Hi everyone,

New to this forum, new to XX, and I have a question:
    how do I make a white background in a bitmap transparent?
    I searched this forum and saw some old posts with a not too easy way to do it, so I am hoping that the latest version 4 has a neat two-clicks-to-do-what-I-want function

In Fireworks - which I have been using before I found Xara - all I had to do is take the Magic Wand tool, click on the white part of the background and hit delete. So hopefully XaraXtreme4 has something similar.

Thanks in advance,

Loes

Default Re: How to eliminate white background?

Hi
    Go to live effects tool and select Mehdi > eraser classic which should be there and tell it what colour on your selected bitmap you wish to make transparent or even easier you can apply stainglass transparency to your bitmap which makes white transparent. Niether ways are perfect and depending on the bitmap and or your confidence another option is to trace the white areas and physically remove them by selecting your bitmap and traced area and going to arrange>combine>subtract
    The attached shows why stainedglass transparency is not perfect. The original bitmap on the left and the same with stainglass applied on the right. You can see the colour shift when laid over another colour when stainedglass is applied. It that instance cutting out the white would be the better option.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asd.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	51277  
    Last edited by masque; 10 August 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Hi Loes, welcome to the forum. If you select the Live Effects tool (Ctrl + F5) and click on the "New" button, select Mehdi and then Eraser Classic. Fiddle a bit with the tolerance slider and you should get what you want.
    You might want to preserve any white parts in the graphic by drawing a shape over your graphic and filling it with white, and then placing it behind your graphic (press Ctrl +B on the keyboard). I see Derek and I are cross posting on our edits as well as our posts. Hopefully we've covered pretty much everything between us!
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	mehdi.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	51275  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 10 August 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Derek and bob, thanks!! That works

Attached is the type of image I needed it for (made in embroidery software). Now that it's transparent I can use a fabric background and create a stitch preview.

Happy camper here,

Loes

Name:	QuillLinesLoes.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	51278  
    Last edited by Loes; 10 August 2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added image

We like happy campers, glad to be able to help.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I am not a "stitchery" type person myself, but I know that those programable stiches are a form of vector graphic. Might be worth while to keep them as a vector and then you can create your own stitches...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

If I'm following what you want... bring in your fabirc swatch and the stitch pattern. Place the stitch pattern on top, select the transparency tool and on the 'type' dropdown (it will say 'mix' ) and select 'stained glass'. Attached is an example.

Hopefully this was some help.

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	51299  

Thanks again. Perfect

Loes