Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Web site and search engines

It is possible with XXP to create a web page with no text and just pictures as I have done with my son at http://www.historyofwarfare.net/

This was a first attempt and not completed.

Looking at the source code there is nothing that a search engine could find.

So there is trap for developers using XXP if they want search engines to find there web site!!

Its a steep learning curve.

Peter

Default Re: Web site and search engines

Hi Peter,

Firstly, XXP html export is not really designed for developers.
    It is most suitable for mockups and for some fairly simple (but cool) pages.

However, you can do three things to improve your site.
    [1] Don't group text with anything, make sure it's in a text area and export the page retaining the text. OK, the CSS will break up sentences, but keywords will still be searchable.

[2] Manually add meta data in the head, eg:
    HTML Code:
    <head>
    <meta name="XAR jpegs" content="2"/>
    <meta name="XAR pngs" content="23"/>
    <meta name="XAR Pages" content="3"/>
    <meta name="XAR Page 1" content="index.htm"/>
    <meta name="description" content="History of Warfare Games">
    <meta name="keywords" content="War, warfare, rules, capaigns, war rules, war history">
    [3] Create a ror.xml sitemap.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    It is possible with XXP to create a web page with no text and just pictures as I have done with my son at http://www.historyofwarfare.net/

This was a first attempt and not completed.
    Ok, no text I could see..

Looking at the source code there is nothing that a search engine could find.
    With just pictures, there would be little for a search engine to find.
    So there is trap for developers using XXP if they want search engines to find there web site!!
    Yes, but it's not a new trap. Type "search engine" into talkgraphics search box..

Peter
    I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make or question you're trying to ask.

XXP certainly has SEO problems and avoiding text in web pages won't help.

Paul

I think the point Peter is making is that for a novice, creating a nice looking 'page' in Xtreme is fun and straight forward. Exporting it to html is easy, and putting it online is acheivable.

But because the output might be all image (due to grouping and generally having fun with the design process), there's nothing that a search engine bot can read.
    The 'trap' I think he is pointing out, is that many newcomers to html might fall into an 'all image' website and then wonder why it never turns up on Google.

Thing is, even with plenty of text, many people miss the entire SEO process *post production*. Simply having a website doesn't automatically mean it will be indexed by all major search engines. You gotta tell 'em it's there

You can include an ALT statement in the image HTML as well (although I don't know if Xara has the provision to do that so you might have to add it manually)

However all that's likely to happen is that you'll have the images turn up on Google Images, which often means that loads of people will come and help themselves to your images. Not a problem if they have no commercial value to anyone.

Search engines will pick up the Page Title, Description and Keywords though, as Sledger points out above.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I think the point Peter is making is that for a novice, creating a nice looking 'page' in Xtreme is fun and straight forward. Exporting it to html is easy, and putting it online is acheivable.

But because the output might be all image (due to grouping and generally having fun with the design process), there's nothing that a search engine bot can read.
    The 'trap' I think he is pointing out, is that many newcomers to html might fall into an 'all image' website and then wonder why it never turns up on Google.

Thing is, even with plenty of text, many people miss the entire SEO process *post production*. Simply having a website doesn't automatically mean it will be indexed by all major search engines. You gotta tell 'em it's there
    You are correct much better than I could put it:-(

It comes back to "Jack of all trades and not master of one'

And we need to be a master of all (from the start) to get a web page that looks good and now we are provided with tools that only go part the way without knowing that there are pitfalls, which I have fallen into.

I think I was pointing out that this is not easy as it seems and trying to tell others where I had been 'trapped' into thinking it was.

Your comments are appreciated.

Peter

Nothing beats a page with the code hand slung (No I don't want to start an argument - Guys). They load faster, are indexed better etc, etc... You just have to know lots to make it work.

I have used Xara for over 10 years to build the graphics for web pages. Xara works great for that.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I think like pdf export it's advisable to keep the text on it's own separate layer, best below a graphics layer if you want repelling text. Using this method ensures the text remains as such and is therefore SE friendly.

See the attached xar. (Save it and export as an html file). On export to html the text remains as text, all be it broken into individual lines but apparently to SE's this doesn't make a difference.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 07 August 2008 at 04:07 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Peter,
    The conversion of the grouped text to images is necessary to give user control over this process. So that you can explicitly do this if you like. This is documented. It's all about reading one page in the help. Is it too steep for you? Do you know something better?

John Rayner,
    Nothing beats a page with the code hand slung
    As you see, Peter is unhappy with Xtremes learning curve. How is it possible that your proposition would suit him?
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Hi Peter,
    The conversion of the grouped text to images is necessary to give user control over this process. So that you can explicitly do this if you like. This is documented. It's all about reading one page in the help. Is it too steep for you? Do you know something better?

John Rayner,
    As you see, Peter is unhappy with Xtremes learning curve. How is it possible that your proposition would suit him?
    Oh thanks for those comments that makes my day!!

That is not at all, yes I can read help files if they are well written and understandable with not to much background to have to start with.

We are all beginners at some time and when we are given a new tool that only partly does the job as I found out, and that is what I was commenting on.

The point I was trying to make that was that it was not only trying to learn XXP and web design and html programming and designing model railway layouts and computer management and etc. etc. all at the same time.

Peter