Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TIF Export DPI All Wrong

Hi

Although I've not been visiting this forum, I've been keeping up with the various versions and now have XXP4. However, in the past few days I've come up with a problem regarding exporting TIFs and dpi.

I'm currently doing a manual where the source files are being scanned in at 300dpi, tarted up using PhotoPaint 8.0, saved and then brought into XXP4 for tarting up the text etc. I then export them as 300 dpi TIFs -- only, they don't -- export at 300dpi I mean. They export at 96dpi. I've applied the patch but that hasn't corrected it and since I was convinced it used to work, I went to the trouble of uninstalling XXP4 and reinstalling XXP3 and it now works(!), i.e. using XXP3, I export at 300dpi and it DOES export at 300dpi!!!

So there appears to be a problem with XXP4's export resolution, at least with TIFs and possibly other formats. Has anyone else come across this problem? If they have and they've solved it, how did they solve it? Any help with this would be most appreciated. And please, I really don't want anyone telling me to reduce the size by 32%. XXP4 supposedly gives me the ability to export at 300dpi so why doesn't it? I want to export at 300dpi (as version 3 does - and as far as I can remember all the versions before it) not at 96 dpi (as version 4 does). If I use version 4, I have to load the file back into PhotoPaint and change the dpi there - and when you have several hundred files to handle it all adds to the workload.

Hoping someone can come up with an answer. Incidentally, it's good to see that the forum is still going strong.

Tracey

Default Re: TIF Export DPI All Wrong

Sorry,
    just tested with simple pic
    imported jpg>exported tif 300dpi
    it is 300dpi

Hans

Hi - are you exporting as a tiff with no compression?

exporting the same scanned 1070 x 1436 pixel 300dpi file [imported as png] from xara as tiff, windows properties reports the following:

note the magick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss -tiff.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	51128  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Are you selecting 300dpi from the dpi drop down menu?

By default, the export resolution is set to 96dpi, the default. If you want to export at a different resolution you have to select one of the options in the drop down menu or key in a custom resolution in the dpi text entry box.

JPEG images import at 96dpi, however, even if they were exported at 300dpi or 1200dpi, etc.

You can untick the import JPEGs at 96 dpi and they will import at their saved dpi.

Name:	jpgimport.gif 
Views:	260 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	51137  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

both the exports I made had 300dpi selected in the export box

it 'works' with the LZW compression [default] - but not with the non-compression setting

note it uses imagemagick to do the latter operation and I reckon that's where the discrepancy arises - 'pixel size' is preserved, but 'dpi' is not.

noticed this when exporting tiff for corel painter [which does not support LZW compression]
    Nothing lasts forever...

for the record if you export the tif from xtreme with compression and run it through photoshop to take out compression that preserves the dpi

Name:	ss -tiff-PS.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	51138  
    Nothing lasts forever...

Tracey

Like most of the posts above, I imported a JPEG at 96 DPI and then exported as TIFF at 300 DPI, and when re-imported the tiff version it stayed at 300 DPI. So doesn't seem to be a problem. I use XX4 with the June patch.

The export options are there (see image below)

Sammy

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	51139  

out of interest - did you try it at 300dpi with compression off? - if you do and re-import it guess what - 96dpi

xara has a problem here, one way or another...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just did a cross check with xtreme 2 [don't have xtreme 3 installed] - it exports at 300dpi with or without compression ......
    Nothing lasts forever...