Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-installing Xara - getting error...

Well after I purchased Xara, my laptop took a dump (it was on its last legs) and after getting a new laptop and installing the stored Xara files that I had downloaded, it seems to be working okay, but I am getting this error:

"This version of Xara Xtreme is currently not registered for XAR files. Do you want to register it?"

and when I click Yes I get this error:

"Administrator Privileges are required to change the file associations!"

Argh! When I installed this on my new laptop I entered the authorization code. Can someone PLEASE help me with this?

Thanks!
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: Re-installing Xara - getting error...

Hi Colleen,

I'm guessing you are installing a pre version 4 copy of Xtreme on a Windows Vista laptop?

Please have a look here

Basically, you must specify Run as administrator when installing some applications.
    (Right-click setup file)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	runas.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	51149

I'm guessing you are installing a pre version 4 copy of Xtreme on a Windows Vista laptop?
    No - I JUST purchased Xara in July (I downloaded the test version in June, used it until I felt that it really would work for me, purchased it on 7/10/08. So, unless what Xara has for download is not version 4 - then, no I do not have a pre-version 4 copy.

What happened is that I downloaded it on to my old laptop - I got a new one while in the States last week and transfered all my files over to my new laptop. I copied over the downloaded file, opened it in the same manner as I did when installing it on my old laptop. I entered the correct authorization code, but was never prompted to run it as administrator during the setup. So how do I now fix this? Do I uninstall and re-install? Please don't tell me I need to re-download it...

Thanks for your help
    Coleen

You won't need to download it again. You should get the CD before too long in anycase.
    You won't see any prompts about running as admin.
    However, version 4 doesn't require running as Administrator, I'm not sure why you are seeing this. I've installed XXP4 on three machines running Vista without the need to run either the setup or program as Admin.
    Can you go to the Help>>About Xara Xtreme and let us know the version number please? (eg: the DL version should be Version: 4.0.4966)

You can try disabling Vista's UAC (User Account Control) and then try reinstalling Xtreme.
    You can always re enable UAC once you get Xtreme running correctly.

Thanks sledger - the version number is 4.0.4966 - April 14, 2008.
    Coleen

OK Colleen, you should be able to install that version without admin errors.
    Other things to try are closing any AV software you have and any software which monitors system changes (Zone Alarm, Anti-Spyware ect).
    *(temporarily disconnect from the internet before you disable AV and Firewall protection)

Thank you, I will try that and let you know...
    Coleen

I un-installed and re-installed Xara this morning. Now, in addition to getting the error that Xara is not registered for .xar files, I am now getting the same error for .web files!

Please help! What does this mean for me using Xara, and HOW do I fix it?

Thanks,
    Coleen

Coleen all that means is that the program wants you to confirm that .xar and .web files are associated with the program so that they will open in Xtreme when you double-click a .xar (for example) file on your computer.
    It's not related to your Xara product registration code at all.
    It just needs to add the details to the windows registry (iow: register them )

Simply click yes for each file and take the tick out of the little box for each one.

When I click Yes - that's when it gives me the error that I need Adminstrative Priveleges to do that! Ugh - I HATE VISTA!
    Coleen