Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default working with vista ultimate upgrade

I recently upgraded fromj vista home premium to vista ultimate. when I was using the vista home premium, xara extreme pro v4 was working for me very well, but since my upgrade to ultimate, xara starts to open,,, then shuts down all of a sudden. I have alreadey downloaded the patch , but the program still does the same thing.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: working with vista ultimate upgrade

I'm sure the first thing anyone else will tell you is to uninstall Xara first, then re-install then patch and see if that solves the problem. I've been using Vista Ultimate since it came out and Xara has always worked - especially V4.
    Glenn

Hi glen,

I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it like you suggested, but the program still gives me problems... no change... it starts to execute but then stops. Could this be a setting in vista or norton software?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Kay Chinn
    NDC

Hello Kay,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I recently upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. There were no problems with Xara Xtreme 3.2.4 or 4.0 on my system.

I have always disabled UAC (User Acccount Control) on my Vista systems even when running the early Beta releases. This may account for not having many of the problems other people have encountered with various applications.

If you have the UAC enabled I would recommend doing an uninstall of Xtreme then reboot. When re-installing Xtreme make sure to run the installer using Run as administrator by right clicking on the RunCD.exe icon rather than allowing it to run when the CD is inserted.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If anyone is nervous about disabling UAC (User Account Control), then there's a handy freeware utility to help here.

If you want to regain some performance and remove (likely) conflicts from your new Vista PC, I suggest that Norton ISS/360 be replaced with something better (..almost anything is better).

Additional to this, I agree with Glenn and Bills suggestions.

well,,, I have done as you said, and right clicked the icon (run as admin) then re-installed after un-installing. still the same situation. I have had several issues with vista. first I had to re-install my entire suite for my other programs too when I upgraded. This is making me think. should I just wipe out my hd and install the vista ultimate from scratch? I know it is a lot of work, and I am going to have to save my driver files before I do this. I may have something on my pc. I uninstalled all the microsoft office products that were a trial with this new laptop, and all that, thinking it could have made xara act wierd. That is not the case.

If I start from scratch, it will be the best thing for me I think.

and I have an account with zome Alarm for security suite. as well as avg, so I will put one of those on this laptop.

Hi Kay

How far does Xtreme startup get before it disappears? Do you see the startup panel or the main window? Is there any error or other message before it disappears?

Try running Xtreme as Administrator, just to see what happens: From the Start menu, navigate to the Xtreme item but don't click it, right-click it and then select "Run as Administrator".

Do you have any anti-virus or security software running? If so, again just to test whether it may be involved in the problem, turn it off temporarilly and then run Xtreme to see whether that allows it to run.

Phil

Just to say that I have exactley the same trouble, upgrading I think is the problem.
    I have uninstalled anti virus, shut down UAC, uninstalled reinstalled , run as administrator all to no good it still stalls at the same spot every time.
    Loads to the point when the tips screen somes up but it stalls with the tips frame showing but no writing in the frame, it is a windows message that comes up, so I think it is a setting? somewhere in windows, I have spent severel evenings so far looking but up to now no joy, but just in passing the network is also playing up, I can read the network from the vista box but not the other way, all other boxes running XP Pro. hope this helps PhilM and you can sort it.
    I am thinking that the upgrade is a bad idea and a complete reformat is needed (remember 95!!!!!!!!! the only good way with that was a reformat upgade never worked reliable).
    Hope that Xara can sort (Thanks to PhilM in advance?)

like jeff says:

Loads to the point when the tips screen comes up Then the windows dialog box comes up saying that the program shut down. At this time, the xara interface has turned white. then vista says it is trying to find a solution why the program shut down all of a sudden.

I have tried all of your sugestions , even turning off my anti virus program.

Nothing worked so far

NDC try this:

Uninstall Xara Xtreme
    Reboot
    When back in Windows Vista, on your keyboard press the WinKey+R
    In the Run box that appears, type:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Xara

Press Enter.

Unless you have other Xara software, delete everything in that folder.
    If you do have other Xara software, just delete the Xara Xtreme folder.

Reboot, re install Xtreme noting the pre conditions suggested by Phil and others.