Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Stop & Post August 2008

John,

There's nothing in any rules about politics or religion. Provided the poster stays on topic and JA was making the point about his artwork then there's no problem.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

My politics differs from JA and Gary's. None of us should use this forum to discuss our points of view. Politics and Graphics are not good bedfellows. Please... can we keep the politics out of here?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    John,

There's nothing in any rules about politics or religion. Provided the poster stays on topic and JA was making the point about his artwork then there's no problem.
    oh yes there is:

"We ask you to refrain from volatile subjects such as religion or politics and keep the intended spirit of TalkGraphics.com in mind."

and John referenced this in his link

JA may have hid his polictical world view behind a very fine illustration, but statements such as:
    "One minute Obama was talking about the threat of the USSR (Which doesn't even exist any more)"
    are provocative [cf: Georgia... Poland].
    And a response that it was not that sort of a threat that was meant [ie:what does it matter to me], or it was a joke, would not be very helpful here.

that said - if what you are saying is that, provided we have an illustration in support, we can say what we like - I can play that game
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    please... no politics...

I think that is in the rules someplace.

Sorry Egg... been looking for a quote... http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=24422

I couldn't find the original, but did find a quote of the original...
    My image and chat didn't express a religious or a political view point if you have read it properly. And I went to great lengths to explain that - so this wouldn't happen but I find it strange that you posted this up here after my post and not after gary's.

Art is very often about politics/religion and other volitile subjects. The rules are not against posting such artwork but about wandering off topic by discussing the politics/religion behind the artwork rather than discussing the artwork its self.

If I created a drawing of Margaret Thatcher and explained why I'd created it in such a manner then I'm not opening the thread for a general discussion on MT's political values but explaining my reasons for creating the artwork the way that I did.

If the thread then becomes a discussion/argument about MT's politics, this is against the rules.

Posting a religious icon is not against the rules. Posting an explanation behind the creation of such an icon is not against the rules. If the thread degenerates into a discussion about individual religious beliefs then this is against the rules.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 21 August 2008 at 07:30 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

thanks Egg - I appreciate the clarification

Up until now I have felt inhibited about posting political art - now I think it will be ok - there will not be any explanation - good art does not need it ....

EDIT: there will be contextual reference
    Nothing lasts forever...

JA... I posted after yours but Gary is the one who started posting politics. Not a good idea in my opinion. It will not help the forum. Moderators are human and have their own view points on the 3 taboo subjects. If the majority of moderators have the same viewpoint on one of the subjects then the post will fly. If the viewpoint is not popular with the moderators then the post will be locked, or deleted at the earliest possible moment.

the bottom line... whatever viewpoint the moderators have will be permitted, and the others won't. Best to keep those opinions out of the forums, so active members will not end up getting banned for their unpopular viewpoint.

For that very reason... I am keeping my big mouth shut from here on out.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

A piece of 3000 year old modern art. The Uffington white horse.

See here

From the above link:
    represents a Celtic horse goddess Epona, known to represent fertility, healing and death.
    Now that's what I call a job description!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	248 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	51459  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 August 2008 at 02:41 AM.
    Egg

Every moderator should have one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	51460  
    Egg

you usually box clever Egg

Uffington Horse - like it

Great art as usuall everyone - well done.
    Nothing lasts forever...