Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15 mins in xara

Default Re: 15 mins in xara

<a href="........."> ........ </a> is standard syntax for an anchor element.

href = Hypertext Reference
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    href = Hypertext Reference
    Yes. I was referring specifically to the syntax of the CSS code: [href].

You could just make it into a button in Xtreme and it will clean it up.

Create rectangle, center text within, group, right click, select web address and put url or email info in box, check shape of object and select add.

This worked for me on my website and was a pretty easy work around.

Hope this helps,

Danny

Very tastefully done. Easy to look at and read.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Smile Re: 15 mins in xara

well thanks guys, no underlines now. It looks better to my eye without the underlines.

I just want to say how good xara is for doing this type of thing. I not only created this in xara really quick but in that time I also used the photo tools to enhance my shots. I couldn't do that in dreamweaver without jumping into PShop. Plus he likes it so much he wants to pay me... ta

Well done, perfect task in Xara indeed! The photos are fantastic! Has been a while for me since i've been in Byron. Not that i could affort THAT place though LOL
    Great job Tao.

Hi Steven. I'll try to answer your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    Why does XX generate this code though:
    a[href] * {text-decoration:underline;}
    as underline is the default property for an anchor tag
    For <a> tag, yes, but for elements placed within <a>, not necessarily. Actually this is browser specific, so if you have:
    <a href="mysite.com">Lorem <span>ipsum</span></a>
    Some browsers will not underline "ipsum".
    This is necessary because html filter can produce code with block elements inside the anchor due to text formatting and positioning.
    and why are you specifying the contents of <a>, rather than the <a> element in your CSS code?
    I specify both. Though for the anchor, underlining is default decoration.
    Also, I'm not familiar with the [href] portion. What is that doing?
    This stands for the element containing "href" property. The <a> elements without "href" property are target anchors. They are not supposed to be affected by these settings as we want them to work only on clickable links.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by covoxer; 30 July 2008 at 07:05 AM.
    John.

<a name="..."> for target anchors is rather old fashioned; unless it needs to work in Netscape 4 (and nothing else will!), putting an id="..." on another container element is probably a better bet, and would remove the need for the [href] selector.

However that would require some cleaning up of what goes in a target anchor name, so that it's always a valid ID token and unique within the document. The 'name' attribute is technically a CDATA attribute, but using non-ID-token characters can in any case make it not work as an anchor. Plus it can already clash with Xtreme's own IDs (eg. if you try to have an anchor with the name 'xr').

Also, Xtreme currently forgets to escape name attributes in any case, so they can come out ill-formed like this:

<a name="foo <bar> "fish" &chips!" >

"a * { text-decoration: underline; }" is probably not a good idea in the long term, because this can result in double underlines clashing, one on the <a> and one on the contents of <a>. Text-decoration in CSS is a property of a span of text, not the text itself, so for example if you have a span with underlining, containing another span without underlining, the underline will run right through. This is different from the behaviour you might expect from MS Word, and older versions of IE.

Exclamation Re: 15 mins in xara

I hate to be the one to point out some typos...

The text on the webpage you quoted talks about 'Lavista' but the Title for that webpage (which shows at the top of your browser) says 'La Vista'

Plus, the same difference crops up in the page at http://www.lavistabyronbay.com/. There, in both the Title and the text, it talks about 'Lavista', but at the bottom it says: '“La Vista...the place you just can't leave”'

There may be others, but they were the only 2 pages I looked at.

Hi Brian, good spotting, he is deciding what he wants to call it Lavista or La Vista. It was La Vista and I changed his main page today but missed the La Vista the place you just cant' leave....thanks it is fixed, regards tao
    Last edited by Tao jones; 30 July 2008 at 11:47 AM.