Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help on memory problem?

I keep trying to save my files and am getting out of memory pop up from Xara. How can I free up my memory on Xara Extreme Pro? Plus, I go to try an open my previous files I have saved and can not find them on my computer? It is like they are there for awhile but the next day I try to open a file and they are gone? Plase help me to figure out best way to free up my memory on extreme pro.

Default Re: Help on memory problem?

I might have had to many files going at once. I closed down three or four files and my software starting acting right again. Why am I losing work that I have saved, I don't understand? http://str8m8.proboards56.com

Is this the wrong thread for a reply or to ask a question, or is everyone just busy?
    http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...8-677/b1-4.jpg

I haven't heard of Xara files going missing before and I think it's highly unlikely that a saved file just dissappears. Where do you save your files to?

As to the memory problem - it might help if you gave your computer specification (particularly RAM size, HD size and how much free hard disc space that you have).

In addition to the questions Paul asked you can consider the following:

Having too many programs open at the same time can consume memory.

Having a large desktop background image consumes memory and is the most unnecessary waste of RAM.

Having a lot of applications that startup and stay in memory take a lot of RAM. Many people have those programs load and never actually use them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the help. I usually save my files in some folders that are in the same place. I get in a hurry and save all kinds of stuff and they go basically to same folders. I close down a file, when xara ask me if I want to save changes or disregard then sometimes I save it and sometimes I don't, but when I do not save a file it seems to disappear and I have looked for a few of the lost ones and can not find them anywhere. You could be right about to many applications running at once, I run PS CS3, Paint Shop, Paint, Power Point, online radio and a couple other things usually, so I guess it would be good to work with the Xara and not a lot of other programs at the same time. Thanks for the help you all and have a great week!

I have only seen a memory error, non-save once. I had about 100 large bitmaps open in a large multipage document. In my experience, I have gagged almost every program their is by making it swallow too much. Xara can handle a great deal before gagging. The newer version can handle less than the older versions. But you can do so much more with the new versions. I think X1 could have handled all the drawings in your screen shot with no problem. Too many live effects at the same time is the eaisiest way to gag xara.

The greater the number of objects the easier it is to gag xara, the more complex (processing power required) those objects makes it even easier. I have had 100 meg files with just one object and had no problems. I have had 50,000 objects added together into one object and had no problems.

I would suspect you had too many xar files open at the same time, along with several other memory intensive programs and you entire system was beginning to gag.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

STR8M8 - Welcome to TG

"but when I do not save a file it seems to disappear and I have looked for a few of the lost ones and can not find them anywhere."

Seems like if you do NOT save a file then it would not be on your system. File and folder organisation might help

All the previous answers should be able to cure your memory problems. Xara is actually pretty good at handling memory intensive tasks.

Sammy