Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Painter 8 versus Painter X

I'm an absolute digital painting beginner.

I have a copy of Painter 8. As a newbie would I gain much by upgrading to Painter X?
    Or is the difference insignificant enough that I should hold off until version 11?

Thanks for your help.
    IP

Default Re: Painter 8 versus Painter X

Wow, I sure posed a tough question!
    IP

Hi Mistywindow, I only have Painter IX so I can't say if X is a big improvement on 8 or not, but apparently the new bristle brushes are supposed to be pretty good. Corel aren't famous for making each new version that much better than the previous release, but two releases on I think there might be enough to justify moving up. As a newbie to the program though, it might be better to become more familiar with 8 first
    Welcome to the forum, and someone is sure to be along to answer your question more fully.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 29 July 2008 at 10:36 PM.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks for that Bob, I've installed a trial version of X and from my ill-informed point of view it doesn't seem to much different to 8 apart from the bristle brushes. So I think I'll save my pennies at least until I'm a bit more familiar with what I've got.
    IP

I too am in the same boat. I just figured I'd take a stab at 8 and if it was something I found I really liked and needed than I would consider upgrading if necessary. My neighbor uses it to color her comics and she really likes Painter but she does say that it takes a lot more time to produce the color comics as opposed to the B&W ones.
    IP

I have been using Painter for many years....I still have my original disks (not CDs), from Painter3 years ago. I stuck with Painter7 for the longest time. I upgraded to X recently, and didn't find the effort worth it. All they seem to have done is pulled a MS windows deal and moved everything around so you have to learn where to find it all again....but not a whole lot of real new content. You might be better to stay where you are till they make some significant additions. Anyhow....that's my $.02.........cheers, Electrax.
    IP

I have Painter IX and recently bought Painter essentials 4 rather than upgrading to Painter X.
    Why? Because the interface is much more visual.
    It provides you with visual examples of brushes rather than lists, which I find much more useful.
    Also, one of the main reasons to upgrade to Painter X is the new "RealBristle painting system", but as a traditional painter how often do I even use strokes that show brush marks? Never!
    Nor do I think I would ever use them in digital painting.

So Painter Essential 4's approach to making the brushes and paints more tangible, as well as costing much less, has greater appeal.

Go to www.corel.com to download the trial version and check out Painter Essentials 4 for yourself. 60 day trial

- Andy
    IP

The most neglected aspect of the Painter series over its versions to date has been STABILITY, the lack of which has been the bane of many dedicated users including myself. The version that has come nearest to satisfactory is Painter IX.5, a state which regrettably was not emulated in Painter X. Version 8 was the last of the dark ages. gw
    IP

i have painter x an it seems pretty cool but ive only jus started usin that, does anyone know of any tutorials?
    IP

Google "free turorials painter X" over 69,000 results!! gw
    IP