Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vector Magic Desktop Edition

Vector Magic Desktop Edition has been launched.
    At $295.00 each license ( 1 - 4 ) it seems pretty pricey for a tracing program on the face of it, though businesses and professionals who regularly need to trace submitted raster work might find this a small price.
    The download is available for testing purposes, but it's save disabled.

Default Re: Vector Magic Desktop Edition

Attempted download from that link gave me this message at about 95% complete. AV: ESET NOD 32
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarantine.jpg 
Views:	933 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	50808  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hi Steve. Yes Vector Magic seems to have lost the plot regarding their price structure. The product is good, but not great at the prices they are asking and the very limited application use. In this case I'd rather put my $295 towards purchasing CS3.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Steve. Yes Vector Magic seems to have lost the plot regarding their price structure. The product is good, but not great at the prices they are asking and the very limited application use. In this case I'd rather put my $295 towards purchasing CS3.
    Also worth noting in the video was that they showed Inkscape instead of Xara Xtreme! Hmm...

At $295 per licence, I'm just speechless ..... "Pricey" doesn't begin to come close.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

It does a very good job, but not sure I could justify the cost for me.

This is a trace of Mona Lisa and the second is the vector paths shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monalisa trace.jpg 
Views:	15674 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	50828  

Going roughly for the same price as Silhouette plugin for Illustrator which is $249 but Vector Magic does a slightly better job. On the plus sign for Silhouette you have more control over the final outcome. It seems a lost opportunity on the marketing side of this programme as if it was priced under $200 I think more people would buy it as I worked in a newspaper office and we had two machines with Silhouette installed out of 40 in the department to trace logos for adverts. The manger would not buy more so 2 people were landed with all the tracing to do.
    Last edited by Albacore; 18 July 2008 at 09:44 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Yes, I'm totally disgusted. I just found out about their $300 price for the desktop version. I've lost all respect for these people. There is absolutely no justification for such extortion. It should cost around $50 like Xara3D or something. And something else I find really disgusting about them is that they are very surreptitious with their price display. You have to go through the hassle of creating an account with them before they even let you see the price--immediately showing they're knowingly greedy and embarrassed about the price. My account with them lasted for all of 5 seconds and I'm not looking back until their prices change.
    Last edited by Xhris; 12 February 2009 at 09:54 PM.

Am i missing something? Illustrator comes with LiveTrace? Why get a thrid party tracer that does the same thing in a program you get as a package?

Unless Xara doesnt come with an auto tracer?

There is an old auto tracer that was stand alone from Adobe during the Illy 10 era called Streamline. Im sure you could pick that up for like $10 these days lol.
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within

you are not comparing like with like - they only do the same thing in the sense all jazz bands play the same music [ jazz]

streamline will do CAD type tracing as it was designed for - but photographs, forget it - stone age

adobe live trace is good for logos and for some photo work

ditto xtreme ditto inkscape - with differences - inkscape for logos, xtreme for photos IMO

vector magic is very good with photographs........... and everything else too - try it..

you pays your money.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...