Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Should Xara's interface change?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I think this thread is heading down a well trodden road ......
    Isn't that the title of this thread ... It's not exactly off topic, more like the same topic again!

My 2¢ worth ....

I've no objection to skins, as long as we're not forced to use anything but the standard (default), I find them generally very pointless.

I too would like to disable the gallery docking .... It's a PITA (Bill, How do you edit the registry to disable it?)

When I said earlier not to update the UI, I wasn't thinking of the galleries. They obviously do need some work - Although drag and drop to add to/create galleries, would solve all my issues with them.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Please don't take my comments out of context or make them seem idiotic because you don't like them.
    Oh, please not again.
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 17 July 2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: oh my

Keith see the attachment for registry location to disable docking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harder2doc.gif 
Views:	271 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	50803  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I would argue that this thread is providing a modern poll of what people think about Xara's UI given that the topic has cropped up in recent reviews and demands attention--even if it becomes repetitive. It is providing accumulating evidence as to what degree and type of gloss various people want, and cements the top gripes with UI issues like galleries and nested layers. New things may arise as more people express opinions and provide input, and artwork may help convey ideas.

I wonder if there are any desires or personal opinions amongst the internal Xara crew members regarding UI changes?

The GUI is fine... just give me nested layers... That is all I ask. You can keep all the other gloss/fancy stuff.

Is this software or laundry Detergent. NEW and IMPROVED should mean more than the box/UI.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I struggle to see the need for nested layers in a vector application where you can easily select individual objects. In fact, I struggle to find much use for layers at all, except for the way they are leveraged for web graphics and such [which is very clever]. Same with the galleries; overall they do their job quite well, they just need a tweak or two to make their behaviour a little more consitent.
    A lot of the other items in people's lists are relly abou tpersonal preference. e.g.moving hot-zones for transforms. Yes, they get in the way sometimes but it wouldn't matter whether you moved them to the outside or not, they would still get in the way sometimes. Overall I think all that is needed is a tweak here and there to what is already a very easy to use interface. Things like the slider for text size is the kind of area where I think the most useful improvements can be made and I woudl prefer to see more of that kind of thing, rather than change for change sake.

I will not spend money for just a UI upgrade. Even though I really like RealDraw's docking framework, which I believe is similar to the one Bill is talking about in Visual Studio (and is a 3rd party MFC library, from what I can tell, so Xtreme could easily incorporate it in the Windows version, but it would probably seriously hinder any non-Windows versions due to unavailability), that isn't enough to upgrade. Give me new tools, specifically a mesh tool. Nested layers would also be helpful, and would make me think about parting with money. But just a UI change--no thanks. I'll save my money for AI, that has these items.

good post Xhris

I think there is another way to split this issue in two:

a) what is good for a given user

b) what is good for Xara - in terms of sales and new users

as far as a) is concerned there will probably be getting on for as many options as there are users

as far as b) is concerned there is much room for overhaul - as has been well covered in the thread already

I need brushes I can freehand draw 'artistically' with, and layers that I can use to create a raft of options in a drawing that can be 'switched' in and out quickly.
    Xara cannot give me this the way I need it; CS3 can.

This is much more important to me than interface considerations - but from the point of view of Xara, I think it needs some serious thought.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    I struggle to see the need for nested layers in a vector application where you can easily select individual objects. In fact, I struggle to find much use for layers at all, except for the way they are leveraged for web graphics and such [which is very clever].
    Bones, one day something will go "click" and you'll wonder how you ever got by without them.

Paul

As is fairly usual, this topic turns into a bit of a melee.

I think experienced Xtreme users can live with the interface as it is and just sigh at seeing an interface that reminds us of times gone by. In terms of re-skinning I think that for a lot of people they don't care but would probably wonder how they stuck with such an old interface for so long if it were re-skinned to look contemporary rather than 'classic windows 3".

In terms of encouraging new sales I would say that re-skinning is really important. Nobody wants to buy what looks like yesterdays software and first impressions are important.

We all know that skins don't change the software's ability, but if you didn't know Xara, would you be enticed to use something that looks like it was designed years ago to use for your design work in the era of Web 2.0? I think not.

Paul