Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: converting Xara Xtreme pro to ai pdf etc

...except that Xtreme cannot import .swf (even those it actually exports)

A quick extract from the Xtreme 4 help file regarding exporting a xar illustration for use with Adobe Illustrator version 9 and later:

PDFs for import into Adobe Illustrator (V9 onwards)
    PDF is the best format to use if you need to transfer designs from Xara Xtreme Pro 4 to recent versions of Adobe Illustrator. Vector shapes, bitmaps, text and the simple fill and transparency types will all transfer with no loss of fidelity.

Layers
    Adobe Illustrator 9 & 10 fully support editing of layers exported in PDF files. Unselect the Exclude Invisible Layers option to make sure all layers in your design are included. Illustrator CS & CS2 will not preserve design layering.

Text
    In order to edit text in PDF documents in Adobe Illustrator 9 and 10, embedded fonts must be installed on the host system. Also, you must unselect the Use Unicode For Text Encoding option in the Settings dialog.

Bitmap tiling
    Adobe Illustrator 9 and 10 will not read the PDF if tiling is used, so unselect the Preserve Bitmap Tiling option. This is not necessary for CS or CS2 versions.

Groups
    Select the Preserve groups option in the export settings if your document contains groups so that they are maintained in Adobe Illustrator.

Note however that because PDF does not natively support groups, clipping masks will appear as part of imported groups in Illustrator CS & CS2. Therefore, when ungrouping you also need to remove the clipping mask.

Exporting as Illustrator EPS
    This is recommended for older versions of Adobe Illustrator

I have a number of drawing made in Xara Extreme that I want to convert to PDF. (I have a 64bit system).

I have previously exported PDF from Xara by using Adobe Illustrator as .ai files, but I don't have it now. I can get Corel Draw files to import to Xara as vectors but not the otherway about.

It seems odd to me that in order to carry out this conversion it looks as if I might have to buy an Adobe application that is several time more expensive than Xara is or redraw the whole lot in Coral (which I certainly don't want to do).

Any chance that Xara could be made to create PDF from its own toolbar without going via the export route to a third party programme?

Hi Hockeystick,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

All versions of Xtreme have export to pdf. That was one of the main updates from Xara X¹ to Xtreme several years ago.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There are several free .pdf creator programs. I have used pdf995 with some success. There are folks here in the forum who think it is the bees knees.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I have created PDFs of extrudes and they opened in illustrator without any problem...here is one attached....they must come in as a transparent PNG, tao
    Attached Files Attached Files