Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Drawing Burnt edges, smoke, lighting

I just saw these pictures and became interested whether we could achieve the same level of clarity through Xara (I'm sure, we can but just don't know where to start).

Particularly I am interested in the following:

- how the lighting was achieved to be so different. I am trying out elliptical and circular lighting but for some reason, I'm not getting satisfied.
    - I tried drawing the burnt edges and smoke but my drawing looks pathetic. I simply can't get accurate burnt edges. Is there some way of exploding/tearing stuff somehow?
    - The way the smoke was drawn as if it was really coming out of the edges
    - the text itself... I am unable to guess how the text was written (brushes?)
    Last edited by remi; 12 July 2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: images removed, because of copyright infringements

Default Re: Drawing Burnt edges, smoke, lighting

Photoshop plugins,nothing more

Hans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ps-plugs.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	50592  

Quote Originally Posted by purifier View Post
    I just saw these pictures and became interested whether we could achieve the same level of clarity through Xara
    Often better to refer (add the URL) to images you have found on the web rather than saving them and attaching them here. Possibly copyright issues ?

Quote Originally Posted by purifier View Post
    - The way the smoke was drawn as if it was really coming out of the edges
    Looks to me that the base image was infact real paper with burned smoldering edges. The rest of the artwork being added to the photo.
    In other words, not drawn at all, but used.

I downloaded Bob Hahn's Grass brush, which I have uploaded again, as I'm sure he won't mind. You have to increase the line size and clone the result a few times and change the grass colours and apply various fractal transparencies to get the result you want.
    The background I used was a bitmap fill, but these simple leaf shapes can be easily made with Xara Xtreme. Again transparencies and different colour backgrounds were used for the effect. This is only a rough and ready quick attempt. I'm sure anyone could do better with some more time and attention to details. As far as the burnt edges are concerned, there is a plugin for the effect Xenofex 2 - the full product, but it doesn't come with Xara.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burn.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	50595  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 09 July 2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: change graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Wow... superb replication iamtheblues and haakoo... Thanks for the input, I'll try these on...

@sledger: Sorry about that. I'll do from next time... I never thought it was a real paper!