Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How Was This Three Coloured Bevelled Rounded Rectangle Achieved?

Hello,

One of my students created a three colour bevelled rounded rectangle!

I know how to do this using two colours but I have been unable to reproduce this with three colours - is anybody able to offer me an explanation on how this was achieved?

There is nothing to Ungroup, Copy Shape and Paste Attributes will not reproduce this either!

I want to be able to replicate this for a graphic job that I am working on

Thank you, DiscoverIT

Default Re: How Was This Three Coloured Bevelled Rounded Rectangle Achieved?

I forgot to add the attachment - sorry about that

DiscoverIT
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can't replicate it exactly in the 5 minutes I have spare before going out for lunch, but it may be possible by creating the bevelled unfilled rounded rectangle and
    then converting it to editable shapes and applying a second bevel (inner). The problem with this is it fills the rectangle, so it has to be sliced out.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bevel.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	61279  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

It is an illusion, I took it all apart, it's contours with some of the contour rings deleted. Looks like she beveled the words with two colors, then sliced out the middle to create a see-thru image then applied a shadow. But for the three colored rings, they are contoured from what i can tell, with rings cut out and the red put beind. As for the words computer art, it is two pieces, hence the dif colors. Looks like she sliced off some of the words made with dif colors then placed them together. If you convert everthing to editable shapes you can ungroup everything and see how it was made. I am probably wrong, but that is what I get out of the image.
    Last edited by islecul8er; 23 May 2009 at 12:21 PM.

It just looks like three colors because the contrast is set at 80%; decreasing the contrast reveals it.
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoverIT View Post
    Hello,

One of my students created a three colour bevelled rounded rectangle!

I know how to do this using two colours but I have been unable to reproduce this with three colours - is anybody able to offer me an explanation on how this was achieved?
    Couldn't your student remember?

Having given this some more time, the original bevelled rectangle is only made up of 2 colours. If you examine the 2 seemingly different blues, they are in fact, caused by the placing of the lightsource.
    If the arrowhead is moved 45º, the outer blue part of the bevel will be more easily seen as the same colour as the inner part of the bevel. It's that simple! Fred is right too, of course. It's all an illusion, anyway!
    Looking from top to bottom, the outer parts of the bevel turn from dark to light and the inner parts of the bevel turn from light to dark - they are both the same colour. PS: I like the new avatar, Fred.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bevels.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	61282  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 23 May 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.