Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feather edges

Hi guys....are you there " grafixman " I need your help again. I am trying to fade or feather the edge of a still image. I have created a drop shadow from an eclipse shape which has given me an excellent edge but when I power clip my image into it the image edge is to crisp/sharp it doesn't look right sat in the drop shadow you can see it ? how do you fade image edges.

Thanks for all your help

David ( Manchester, England )
    IP

Hi guys....are you there " grafixman " I need your help again. I am trying to fade or feather the edge of a still image. I have created a drop shadow from an eclipse shape which has given me an excellent edge but when I power clip my image into it the image edge is to crisp/sharp it doesn't look right sat in the drop shadow you can see it ? how do you fade image edges.

Thanks for all your help

David ( Manchester, England )
    IP

feathering like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Yes, it's me.
    IP

I think the problem is because you're powerclipping into the ellipse. Corel Draw doesn't have a feathered edge option like Xara or Illustrator. What I did was a little workaround to create a feathering effect to cover the edges of the image underneath. Think of it as a rectangle with a hole placed over the image. Sort of like a photo frame, only this one is a white feathered shadow of an invisible object. So you can't really clip anything into it. It's just used to create the illusion of feathering on the picture beneath it.
    IP

Hi skareta.....thanks for whatever it is you have sent but I am unable to open it. It is saying cannot open as it is a new version of corel ? I don't know what version you are on but I use version 10, but thanks anyway

David
    IP

Hi Grafixman....nice to talk to you again, you will have noticed I have had to change my user name due to a mess up on my cookies. Last time you helped me I was " trebor " anyway, I am still in manchester, England and as you can see still struggling. I think I understand what you are saying I am just not sure how to do it ? Sorry to be a pain I'm still learning to use the damn thing.

many thanks again for your help I really do appreciate it.

David
    IP

I'm still learning this one myself http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif .
    Feathering is one thing I would not use Corel Draw on. As I said before, you'd have better luck using PhotoPaint. But I personally feel Photopaint should have the last letter removed. It's not very user friendly http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif.
    If you really HAVE to use it...
    Create a rectangle about the size of your pic, or a little larger. Create an ellipse inside it. Select the rectangle and ellipse, center them to one another, then press Ctrl+L. You should end up with a rectangle with an elliptical hole in it. With this still selected, click the interactive transparency tool, set it to standard transparency and slide the slider all the way to 100. Click the interactive drop shadow tool and choose Medium Glow. Change the shadow color to white. Click the + button several times to duplicate the object and make the shadow more opaque. Select the entire stack of objects you just created and group them. Place your image below this. Basically, that's it. It's not very elegant. But if it gets the effect done, well...
    IP

Thanks for that grafixman, I will have another go at it as we speak

Regards, David

P.S I don't believe you are still learning Corel for one minute. If your a learner then god only knows what I am....
    IP

errmm...not really very happy with that, it will do if all else fails but I still think the edges are to crisp and unreal.
    Any other ways ?

Regards, david
    IP

OK, here's another better method:
    Basically, it involves creating a grayscale image, exporting it somewhere, then reimporting it again as a bitmap transparency image.
    This one's more involved, but you end up with a picture that has a feathered transparency, so you can place it over anything and still have it feathered.
    I don't know if I can explain this without pictures, but here goes:

Create a shape you want your feathered outline to be. As before, make a white shadow of the transparent shape, duplicate a few times to make the white central portion more opaque, then group the shapes. Create a black no outline rectangle the size of the image you want to apply the feathering to. You can turn on the snap to object option and use the pen tool to make this easily. The points would snap to the corners of your picture. Place the white shadowed shapes over the black-filled rectangle. Make sure that the black is RGB black, not CMYK black. You can change your pallete to the RGB pallete to make sure.
    With the white feathered shadowed object group and the black rectangle selected, click file/export and export it as a grayscale TIFF image. On the export dialog box, make sure that the option to export selected objects only is checked, and on the TIFF options dialog, check preserve original size, 300 dpi, and uncheck the anti-alias option. Export the image somewhere you can easily find it again. I usually export to the desktop.
    Back to Draw, pick your bitmap pic, the one you want to apply the feathering to. Click the interactive transparency tool and choose full color bitmap. On the bitmap selections box, click others and an import box would come out. Find the tiff file you just exported and import that. You may have to manually resize the transparency tile to exactly fit the entire image. On the transparency options, (click the little icon on the leftmost side of the transparency bar), check the resize with image option so that the transparency will resize with the image.
    That's it. Easy huh?
    Attached is a jpeg image which could help explain this. You have to create the white heart on black rectangle image first, export it as a grayscale TIFF then use this as the transparency image for the picture. The two heart shaped feathered faces is what you should end up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transparency_mask.jpg 
Views:	922 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	102  
    IP