Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara Gallery Mosaic Co-operative (Beta)

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    i also though of having 2 seperate mosaics, one which merges and another which does not but the xara community is not that big, so probably better to concentrate on one.

any suggestions welcome.
    Why not have one mosaic which embodies both ideas?

From the top left corner images must match up. From the bottom right corner, images don't need to match. Only allow people to pick a blank location that is along the next empty diagonal row, until it is complete. The mosaic can expand as the diagonals grow towards each other.

For the joined-up squares, people need to be able to reserve a spot and can't do their image until adjacent squares are complete. This caused some frustration with cre18 since people picked spots but then took a while to populate them. One of the big criticisms of cre18 was that as the number of pictures grew, the slower it got and viewing and zooming around the whole mosaic suffered.

Anyway, good luck. It's a simple idea but it's not so simple to have it work well.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Why not have one mosaic which embodies both ideas?

From the top left corner images must match up. From the bottom right corner, images don't need to match. Only allow people to pick a blank location that is along the next empty diagonal row, until it is complete. The mosaic can expand as the diagonals grow towards each other.
    I thought that this idea was the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    One idea I had which might look nice is that starting at one corner, all submissions should attempt to merge with adjacent submissions, and at the opposite corner they specifically should not merge.
    I can envisage the pitfalls you mentioned. perhaps it would be best not to restrict people too much, suggesting might be more appropriate. possibly I could reserve the right to move any misplaced submissions/submissions that did not merge in too well in the 'merge' corner to the 'random' corner or something!

another guideline I ought to have mentioned is to scale the original size of all submisions to an 800x800pixel square, so at the completion of the mosaic, someone could form them all into one huge xara file with minimum fuss (sorry I cannot automate this )! I did mine as an 800 pixel square clipview

Three guesses what I uploaded.

Very cool idea.

It's Magic, my contribution anyway.

D