Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Exporting to emf

I just tried exporting a graphic in emf format, and the finished image was upside down. Has anyone else experienced this?

I can always rotate the graphic after importing it to another program like Word, but is there any way to make the background transparent?

TIA, Nick

Default Re: Exporting to emf

Exporting as EMF has some restrictions. Could you post your xar file to see?
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Question Re: Exporting to emf

I've not used this forum before, so I hope this works, the file has been added as an attachment to this post, ExportToEMF.xar. I just exported it as an emf\wmf, and chose the emf radiobutton from the second dialog. I have the emf file but can't upload it as the file type seems to be classified as invalid by your uploader.

I recognize that not all Xara's features can be exported, but does that include a transparent background? the transparent feature seems to work when applied to a drawing object, or is it simply being exported as a bitmap?

TIA, Nick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, if you want to keep transparencies, shadows etc, I suggest you to export as PNG (True color + Alpha) at 300 dpi -- will work perfect in the MS apps. See attached screenshot from MS Word.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	50230  
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Did you know that XaraXtreme 4 works very well via the copy'n'paste to Word process.

You can retain transparency and alpha-channels (graduated transparency) by exporting as PNG type True Colour + Alpha
    Of course PNG is a bitmap (raster) so if you need a particular resolution then do this in Xtreme before you export.

Was there a particular reason for wanting to use the EMF format?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folder.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	50229  

I don't normally use EMF, but I verified that it saves up-side-down on my PC.

Have you tried using the png format. When you export as png, select "True color + Alpha" for Color depth. I imported you graphic into MS Word and put it on top of some text and the image is partially transparent.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Ooops - I see Alex beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Ooops - I see Alex beat me to it
    Ooooops! I see that I'm third!
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

I definitely want emf. I want to be able to resize the drawing without the pixellation that comes with any raster format. Word is only one of the programs I want to use this for. Transparent backgrounds are needed too.

I haven't found any properties in Xara that allow transparent backgrounds for anything, have I missed something? I thought I would find it in File\Page Options, but it doesn't seem possible to change even the color.

Thanks for all the comments so far, this is a much livelier forum than some I've tried.
    Nick

....as I said, if you want the resolution (size) larger, do this in Xtreme BEFORE you export it.
    Keep your Xtreme file for later use when you need other sizes.
    But only Xtreme will keep your vector file with alpha-transparency.