Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I hate to say this but its really urgent: My file got corrupted!

Hi,

I have tried all the possible ways listed here on the forums (ExpandXar.ext and xar2.exe) and am still unable to get past the reading error produced by Xara. Can someone please see if this file is accessible to them?

Thanks
    Last edited by purifier; 25 June 2008 at 06:15 AM.

Default Re: I hate to say this but its really urgent: My file got corrupted!

ExpandXAR couldn't help - but Xtreme 1.1 could.
    There may be some data missing, but much appears to be there.
    I think it would be wiser to create a larger page for your work rather than working mostly in the outer margin spread (grey) area of an 800x600 page?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 June 2008 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks for the advice... I was in a little hurry so I was just working in a stupid way I guess... I'll do that from now.. Thanks for the advice...

Nothing wrong with working in the outer margins - its what they are there for - but I would increase the outer margin setting in options/page and keep within that
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The same is with me -- I always drawing/working on the grey area (better contrast) )) and yes, I set outer margins to the maximum.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Me too - but I've experienced some problems with files that have lot's of objects off the page and saved in that state.
    Also creating a new page brings up a warning about the objects off the page, nudging objects can cause the 'Cannot nudge object on the pasteboard or between pages' (words to that effect) warning and often trying to drag-duplicate and object which is in the spread margin causes it to flick to another position.

All in all, it's a bit of a flakey area.
    So my advice is that you use a larger page to start with, or even a doublepage spread to give more space or simply use the Blank Photo template which adjusts itself to accomodate whatever you draw or import.

I agree that a grey area is easier on the eyes to work with Alex, which is why my default page backgrounds are always dark grey (which Xtreme now uses for the Blank Photo template anyway)

CorelDraw and SignLab have none of the above problems.

the warning is due to new pages being placed adjacent vertically - which will deny access to / loose any objects placed so they are hidden when that happens
    never known it affect any objects to the side that are totally within the page hight

the nudge works up to the boundary of the margin area - when it reaches that boundary you get the message - no problem if you stay within the margin area set - like Alex I usually have it on maximum

the margin will also affect blends which do not cross but change direction to run along the boundary at that point - and drag duplication is affected too yes.

don't see anything 'flakey' about this at all if you appreciate the way the program works in this respect
    Nothing lasts forever...

Fair enough Steve. However the Blank Photo template acts in a similar way to CorelDraw and Signlab which is - no boundaries to interfere.
    I have set this as my default drawing file (though it requires getting into the registry to do so)

But let's return to topic shall we.
    Happily X1.1 was able to recover most of purifier's file and she can keep working

is on topic - if the margin had not been set high enough that could have been a very likely cause or contribution to the problem, and how they [margins] works is relevant... and not everyone likes dark grey, especially with transparency.....

hope you get the file reconstructed purifier
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    is on topic - if the margin had not been set high enough that could have been a very likely cause or contribution to the problem
    Is this not why I suggested a bigger work area (page) in the first place Steve..

Obviously not everyone likes white either mate, use what suits you.