Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: IFrames (exporting the HTML to an IFrame)

the next best thing, I guess is to create a separate page for each "Item" that was to go in my iFrame.
    That is a much, much better way of doing it. Navigating in iframes has many drawbacks and is not a good idea unless you have special, unusual requirements.

The only problem is that it makes it so that all the logos and graphics have to load on the click of every button
    Assuming they're common elements, they'll be cached, you won't get more than a flicker of page updating. This is how 99% of the web already works, you don't have to worry about it.

I do have many common elements in all my pages for this site - the "Header/Logo" section, the button menus across the top and down the side - the only thing that changes for each page is a section about 600X400 pixels, so having it "flicker" when reloading is undesireable.

I could go back and re-do the whole thing in .Net only using the exported graphics - but I don't want to re-write the entire site. Live and learn...I use .Net for a reason, but absoluely LOVE the ease of Xara to do the graphic design! It makes it so that not only can I create a web-site, I don't spend my valuable time messing with crappy software like PSP!

So, my next project (which will actully be MY site) will be a compilation of gaphics created in Xara, and .ASPX/HTML & VB code. At least it is now fun to create graphics - not a chore!

Thanks for everyone's help
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

So, my next project (which will actully be MY site) will be a compilation of gaphics created in Xara, and .ASPX/HTML & VB code.
    Sounds like it will show only for about 75% of visitors.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    I do have many common elements in all my pages for this site - the "Header/Logo" section, the button menus across the top and down the side - the only thing that changes for each page is a section about 600X400 pixels, so having it "flicker" when reloading is undesireable.
    What do you mean by "flicker"? Firefox reads common graphics from cache and I don't normally see common graphic elements flicker when moving between pages. IE6 flickers occasionally but most of the time it does not.

It is common for every page to refer to the same graphic files for common elements. This allows the browser to display from cache when the page changes. Those few people who change their default browser cache settings to check for newer versions each time the page is visited will see a flicker.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Sounds like it will show only for about 75% of visitors.
    Why?

I intend to create my graphic design (such as my logo) in Xara and export it as a .jpg to display on my site. I don't intend to write my entire web site using Xara's export to HTML function...so why wouldn't my site be viewable by 25% of the public? .Net dispays just fine using Firefox - I've tested it!
    Coleen

What do you mean by "flicker"?
    When moving from page to page, there is "white" space as it loads each page, if it does cache the graphics - when I click on any page in the HTML site built by Xara, I get a "flicker" of white as the next page loads. It is obvious that there is a page change. If you know why this is happening or how to fix it I would really appreciate it! Thanks,
    Coleen

That depends on your internet connection speed, your browser cache settings and the performance of your hardware.

I get no white flicker with any Xtreme built site I have tested.

Try mine if you like. The common graphics appear static while the next page loads the unique elements.
    No flicker?

click on any page in the HTML site built by Xara, I get a "flicker" of white as the next page loads.
    ...or indeed any other page not built by Xara. The browser renders web pages progressively (bit-by-bit) as it receives them, rather than waiting for everything to arrive before drawing anything. There may be more or less flicker on cached pages depending on the browser (eg. Firefox flickers less), but this is how everyone is used to the web working. Don't get hung up on it!

Sure, you can try to defeat progressive rendering using iframes or some heinous JavaScript hack, but in the end you'll only be making the experience of using the site worse by breaking the standard navigational tools.

In Opera web browser, there is a page loading setting which allows you to basically (in effect) switch off the progressive loading.
    'Redraw when loaded' allows the page to display instantly once all page elements are downloaded.
    Of course this means that you are looking at the referring page a bit longer than you would otherwise expect while the next page loads in the background.
    But there certainly no white flicker whatsoever on any page ever when using this feature (even those you have never visited before!)

(I don't use it - but it's an available setting )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redrawonload.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	50347  

I guess the reason I have "issues" with the flicker/white page before next page loads - is because the header, main photos, buttons and all graphic content is the same - there is only 1 portion of each page that changes, so I am not pleased with the "flicker", but the site itself (IMO) looks great!

Thanks for everyone's help, advice and information - it really is appreciated!
    Coleen