Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Can't export as website...

but why was I saving as gifs, jpegs, etc. with out this problem
    Because this is the bug of the html export filter. It is already fixed, but you would need to wait for the update to get it. I was just explaining how to avoid it for now.

Good luck!
    John.

"I was just explaining how to avoid it for now."

And a very good job of explaining you did John and I really thank you. Lucky me, I was just logging on to write about the same problem as Soprorose, so I hope I am not high jacking his thread or stepping on his toes and that we both benefit from your explanation. I was also very lucky that you happened on to this thread and were able to solve the problem so quickly..........no idea what time of the day it is where you are so either have a good day or a great night and thanks again..............frank

Is there a good reason for disallowing the apostrophe in (only) website export? As I understand it it's not disallowed either by HTML or the Windows filesystem. (Also # should work, although it'd be an inadvisable name to pick as it would need URL-encoding any time you wanted to link to it.)

edit: oops: just seen the second page. ignore me :-)

Are you trying to export file as "red.html"? Should be just "red" in dialogue box. That would explain error, as "." would be the offender

**EDIT: Sorry, just re-read post #5
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 17 June 2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Lack of attention to previous posts
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I've tracked down my problem and its related to what Xara declares to be an illegal pathname, even though the pathname/filename is perfectly legal for Windows.

It seems that Xara will let you *save* a XAR file to any legal Windows path, but it won't let you *export* to a path that contains certain characters that are valid for Windows, such as the apostrophe/single-quote.

In my case I want to export to a deep temporary path that contains an apostrophe in the pathname. I didn't pick up on that straight away because (a) the apostrophe was way back in a long pathname, and (b) I knew the path was Windows legal, as I had previously created that folder and saved files to it.

Is Xara just being "big brother" and trying to forcibly protect me from using a path that wouldn't be legal as a URL?

Whatever the reason, I do wish to Xara would conform to the established Windows conventions for file management. If a warning is warranted then give me a warning and allow me to choose to proceed if I wish, don't just block me from exporting to a location of my choice.

Although the error dialog does clearly indicate that an apostrophe is one of the illegal characters, it's still confusing because it contravenes Windows' conventions, so I'm curious as to why that is so. The apostrophe/single-quote was even legal in DOS filenames!!!

EDIT: OK, just read the above. Is this the mentioned "bug of the html export filter" and will be rectified with the next update?
    Last edited by Soporose; 17 June 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Seems the latest HTMLfilter.dll must have your issue fixed as I do not have any trouble exporting an index.htm (or whatever) to a folder I named: `save' - export [here]•

(EG: apostrophe ` single quote ' hyphen - square brackets [] and a bullet • (alt+0149))

The latest filter is available from Johns post here
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 June 2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: corrected URL

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The lastest filter is available from Johns post here
    Ummm ... John's post where Steve? You've linked to that weird pathname you created.

Can't see anything on the Xara website about any minor patches available.

Ooops - sorry about that.
    Rushing as usual

URL corrected in my post.

Xara have not posted any minor updates and patches on their site to date.
    The HTML filter update is Johns initiative (he's the developer of the HTML export feature).

Quote Originally Posted by Soporose View Post
    Although the error dialog does clearly indicate that an apostrophe is one of the illegal characters, it's still confusing because it contravenes Windows' conventions, so I'm curious as to why that is so. The apostrophe/single-quote was even legal in DOS filenames!!!
    Windows servers aren't the only servers on the web. It's possible that even though it is a legal windows convention, that it won't work on the web. Frontpage "protects" me from adding spaces in filenames, as they won't work properly on Unix servers - apparently - although "slung" code seems to work fine with spaces. Go figure!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Downloaded the zip, but...

Nope, the replacement DLL makes no difference, and nor can I save to Steve's weird path.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Windows servers aren't the only servers on the web. It's possible that even though it is a legal windows convention, that it won't work on the web. Frontpage "protects" me from adding spaces in filenames, as they won't work properly on Unix servers - apparently - although "slung" code seems to work fine with spaces. Go figure!
    But on a PC running Windows, which is where we are trying to save our files, Windows convention is all that matters.

I could write a webpage in Edlin and make all the mistakes in the world without being stopped by the editor, and I'd be able to save it to my Windows PC, but I'd have to fix anything critical when I tried to FTP it to the Web Server. That's just a matter of knowing what's what.

The Web server doesn't enter into the problem under discussion. And for the reasons you mention I wouldn't want Xara dictating where I can save my files.

However it does now seem that this is a known bug, so I can live with it until a fix comes along.

Puzzled though as to why Steve is not similarly affected.