Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Can't export as website...

XARA EXTREME PRO 4.0.4966 CD VERSION

Hi all.

I've just started a new website design.

Saved the design OK as a XAR file, but when I try to export it as a "Website (HTML)(*.htm;*.html)" I get the following error dialog:

Invalid file name. A name cannot contain any of the following characters:
    * :? # > < | " '

After cutting out the entire design to the clipboard and trying again, this time exporting a blank page, I still get the same error!

Have tried stopping and re-starting Xara to no effect.

Anyone got any ideas?

Default Re: Can't export as website...

Not sure I'm understanding clearly.
    What are you trying to name the exported .htm?

Well, lucky me. I just logged in to make the same complaint. I have just installed a new computer running xp pro, which I know nothing about, coming from win 98 on a 10 year old machine. (Talk about culture shock, after 5 year of using the old machine about 4.5 gigs of a 7 gig hard drive are used, the new machine came with xp pro, adobe reader, a burner program and a few other bits and pieces...and 7.5 gigs or more were alread taken up......ouch)

Anyway, I installed xara 4 after sitting on the desk for two months, having bought it specially for the web page feature, and major dissappointment, have tried over and over. Will include and image of it, notice it is just a simple red circle named red.htm and that error message is starting to resemble what is starting to exit my mouth after many, many attempts at this

While on my complaining streak (I think I'm starting to turn into one of those grumpy old men), I totally hate that stupid space bar change. I read the reason why magic decided to do it and all I can say is "stupid, stupid, stupid decision" but what done is done. I believe Soquili has made a way of getting around it on the older version but it does not seem to work on version 4....post another picture in a minute. But why, oh why has Xara not bothered doing this, leaving it up to an individule to come up with the solution to fix this mistake of mistakes. Write the program and post it on the xone under shareware with Bills.

Anyway, (excuse the horrible colours but the text shows up good under it, not knowing anything about programing, xp, xp-pro, I have modified it by changing the path. Before implimenting it, can anybody look at it and see if it is okay? The yellow is what was downloaded and the green is what I have modified it to, hoping to be able to delete the yellow before running it.

Also, I hope you can help Soporose and myself with the html saving bit also.....frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not saving.gif 
Views:	340 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	49900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpaceBar.gif 
Views:	329 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	49901  

Please make sure that the path you use to export your html does not contain illegal characters as well as the exported file name.
    John.

Hi Covoxer

Thanks for the quick reply but not too sure what you mean. Open the dialogue box, save to desk top or what ever, put in name red.htm and try to save as a web page. No illegal characters on my part as far as I know. Have tried to save as just red, same results.....have read the help files over and over and still get same results....it may be a setting in xp or possibly with the browser (seamonkey, but this I doubt very, very much) , don't know......frank

Frank

use 'customise key shortcuts' [utilities menu] to change the spacebar behaviour in version 4

need to remove space as setting for 'toggle to push tool' and make it setting for 'toggle to selector tool' instead
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Try to save the new file as index. I think that's what Xara expects it to be called. See how that goes.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 16 June 2008 at 03:42 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Open the dialogue box, save to desk top or what ever, put in name red.htm
    Your desktop path is something like this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop
    It may happen that your UserName contain an illegal character (presumably a tick).
    So what I mean is you have to make sure that the path you use does not contain such characters. To be 100% sure, create a folder in the root of your drive like this:
    C:\MySite
    Then export your design to this folder. Report if it still fails, it would be a new bug then.

Hope it helps.
    John.

Well, your the man's man for today covoxer, you hit it right on the nail. Brand new machine set up by the seller and it looks like the user name has an aspostrophe in it, but why was I saving as gifs, jpegs, etc. with out this problem. Anyway, for my second day using xp I think I am not doing too badly. I shall try again later with a more complex page and see what happens

Steve, don't have version pro so I don't think your option is open to me but I will look later since I have to run (walk ((hobblel)) ) to the caserne or firehall.

Keith, your just supposed to double click on the dos. program and it is supposed to install automatically. I think the path is wrong but I'm not too sure, that's why I'm asking. Maybe you can explain a bit better your option.

And sorry for the negativity, I don't blame anybody for progressing. I have just been using xara since the xara version, xara1, xtreame, have but not installed 3.2 and now version 4, and have developed certain habits, the space bar being one of them. My question (and I apologize for being snarky) was why can't xara create and keep up to date the small program Bill wrote and posted giving people a choice of which direction to choose. Not complaining about anything else, don't have a wish list; and believe it or not I enjoy the plug ins and the new extrude..........each to his own I guess. With all the versions I have bought and played with, I have never made a penny with the program, using it strictly to doodle and relax with. To tell you the truth, the main reason I finally bought the new computer was so I could install the lasted version of Xara, that and win98 can not be updated for the last year or so making it a bit of a security risk now......later--frank

no your right Frank - only works with the pro version - sorry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...