Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Multiple pages and layers

Yes, it doesn't work with opened files. But it explains why you've had different behavior with PixelDust.
    Don't forget, this is undocummented feature,
    John.

Fair enough.
    But good for you to know some of the problems right

Yes. I may also add that the "correct" behavior is to have the same set of layers for every page. Just the way it works by default.
    John.

By "correct" you mean "Intended" ?

I submitt that there is a case for a new global condition in 'Options':
    • Layers are independent across multipage docs (on / off)

Especially now that we have your HTML export filter

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Steve,
    It is alreay handled this way! C'mon, you knew about it, didn't you?
    If you turn off "AllPagesTheSame" setting in the registry, it makes all pages completely independent. So they can have different size and personal set of layers too. That simple.
    Thanks for the info, Covoxer. I read there is a registry hack that can do this, but when I tried it, nothing changed. I must have done it wrong. I'll do another search and see how to do it.

Anyway, when I first created my file, it had one page. Then I added another page later and saved it. Is there another way I should create a multi-page document? And if I apply the registry hack, will that change the behavior on a document I already worked on?

I agree with sledger that it would be easier to have that in the Options panel.

Thanks again for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Steve,
    It is alreay handled this way! C'mon, you knew about it, didn't you?
    If you turn off "AllPagesTheSame" setting in the registry, it makes all pages completely independent. So they can have different size and personal set of layers too. That simple.
    I don't think it is that simple, unless we are talking two different things.

I have a saved document: all the pages are formatted the same and I have the registry hack "AllPagesTheSame" turned off. If I delete a layer, it is removed from all pages.

For that same file, if I make one of the pages different than any other page, for example, landscape instead of portrait, and do not save that file, then deleting a layer on any page deletes the layer only on that page. If I then save that document, when I reopen it, the page that I deleted the layer has that layer restored (the contents are still gone). That is, all pages have the same layers.

If I open a saved file with pages formatted differently, deleting a layer on one page deletes it from all pages.

If "AllPagesTheSame" is turned on, then a layer deleted from one page is deleted from all pages. No surprise there. This is true even if the document was saved with differently formatted pages.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

PatentGuy, that seems to be what's happening with me. I have the registry set to "All Pages the Same" off, and I can have different sized or oriented pages.

But all the pages have the same layers, and removing objects from a layer or removing the layer, removes it from all pages.

So, I guess I wasn't doing anything wrong. It seems the Name Gallery is what I should use, since I can have different names for different objects on different pages.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    So, I guess I wasn't doing anything wrong. It seems the Name Gallery is what I should use, since I can have different names for different objects on different pages.
    If you want to have different layers for each page, I think the layer gallery would help. If the page numbers are fixed, you could organize the layer names by including the page number in the name.

Unfortunately, the name gallery is limited and if you have too many layers, it may get confusing very quickly. Others have requested a hierarchical structure for layers.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

It sounds rather buggy.

Of course, what's really missing are master pages for layers that should be on every page and for the rest the layers should only exist on specific pages.

Definately.
    And again, even more appropriate given the HTML export capabilities.