Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Multiple pages and layers

Oh well...

How it is supposed to work:
    All pages are supposed to have exactly the same set of layers no matter what. This is a rule.

The tweak with AllPagesTheSame is not official feature, it was never even tested enough to make sure it is stable at all. I don't know which layer behavior was expected with AllPgaesTheSame=0, but it's easy to see, that it is not consistent.

So, if you have problems using AllPagesTheSame=0, I'm afraid I can't advice anything better then turn it to AllPagesTheSame=1.

The presence of the unique leyers for every page conflicts with Xara ideology. I suppose it's stated somwhere in the manual.

So, don't look for a way to have unique layers on every page. Learn to work with a global set of layers instead.

At least, until following realeases.

Good luck.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Oh well...

How it is supposed to work:
    All pages are supposed to have exactly the same set of layers no matter what. This is a rule.
    Oh well.. The rule could be changed I think.

I don't know which layer behavior was expected with AllPgaesTheSame=0, but it's easy to see, that it is not consistent.
    Effectively making all pages 'not' the same, I would assume changes the behaviour of all pages from being the same to no longer the same. IOW, each page of a multi-page doc being independent of other pages for layout/size/layers/guides etc. This actually works this way before you save the doc, so obviously it's possible. Until recently, it was unknown that certain independent features of all pages (being not the same), would be a problem and revert to Xara 'rulings' once saved. Yes it's an undocument feature, yes it isn't a Xara rule, but that doesn't mean it isn't desireable or indeed as of right now, a requested and supported feature.

So, if you have problems using AllPagesTheSame=0, I'm afraid I can't advice anything better then turn it to AllPagesTheSame=1.
    Understood.

The presence of the unique leyers for every page conflicts with Xara ideology. I suppose it's stated somwhere in the manual.
    I've not seen any statement from Xara in the manual about their ideology John.
    I must say this 'like it or lump it' attitude isn't helpful.

As I have said a few times now, the ability to have each page of a multi-page doc treated indpendently and individually is desirable and a requested feature. It makes sense for many types of publications and is especially pertinent now that we have your HTML export funcionality. Before you reply saying that we must create seperate publications and then link them, that's not a solution - it's an excuse.

So, don't look for a way to have unique layers on every page. Learn to work with a global set of layers instead.
    Why not? Why shouldn't we request a feature is added? Isn't this what user feedback is all about? Isn't this why Xara seek thousands of users to pay for upgrades, and why Xara/Magix are chasing new users? Funds for *development* ?
    We aren't going to roll over and stop asking just because you say so..

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Bravo! I could not have said it better.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

The rule could be changed I think.
    Yes.
    Effectively making all pages 'not' the same, I would assume changes
    It is onknown what it actually means (talking about this particular registry setting). It may or may not mean exactly what you say.
    I must say this 'like it or lump it' attitude isn't helpful.
    This is not attitude. This is a logical thinking. You have no other choices for now. So you really can only 'like it or lump it', at least until the next update.
    As I have said a few times now, the ability to have each page of a multi-page doc treated indpendently and individually is desirable and a requested feature.
    Agree.
    especially pertinent now that we have your HTML export funcionality
    Except that again, current version of the html export relay on the global layers model.
    Before you reply saying that we must create seperate publications
    No, I was not going to say that. I don't think that global layers approach is a problem with multipage sites.
    Why shouldn't we request a feature is added?
    Why not? Of course you should!
    Except that you missinterpret what I say. I have never said that we are not going to change anything, I'm just trying to explaig how and possibly why it is this way now.
    Sure, but I may roll over and stop answering if you say so...

Good luck!
    John.