Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default EPS exports - Adobe Illustrator

I spend most of my free drawing time create microstock images that I submit to places like iStockphoto and Shutterstock.

Because these sites only accept version 8 eps files, and to assure that my Xara-created files will be accepted by these agencies, I must keep a copy of Adobe Illustrator on my computer.

I would really like to eliminate the need to keep illustrator on my machine, but since the output is unpredictable, I am not sure I have any choice. Financially it seems that it is somewhat redundant to have both. If the final work needs to be illustrator friendly, then why not just stop using Xara all together and accept that illustrator is the way to go.

I know the arguments as to why Xara is better. I love working with xara and I hate the idea that I have to use a particular application to have my work accepted, but unless I can find a way to output eps file that I do not have to "tweak" to get to be accepted, I am not sure that I will have a choice.

Anybody out there in the same situation?

Default Re: EPS exports - Adobe Illustrator

I can feel your pain.
    The only advice i can give you is to export your work as pdf
    and import into illustrator.

Try it and let me know.
    Last edited by behzad; 13 June 2008 at 03:39 PM.

The same is with me --- I have to have AI to get a predictable result )))
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

I'm really sorry, but I don't feel the pain .......... If you have to have AI to ensure that your work is to a certain standard that the industry needs, then use AI.

I really can't agree with moaning that Xara doesn't do what you need in Adobe format, why do you have a right to expect it too? How many other applications go anywhere near Xara's Import and Export formats?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I think when you are working in the print industry and love xara and then have to hand over the files to clients then the standard is illustrator.
    That is the point that we are expressing.

A proper import/export that would work with at least cs+ would help.
    So yes it is essential if you do a lot of professional work for clients compared to that of doing it as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I'm really sorry, but I don't feel the pain .......... If you have to have AI to ensure that your work is to a certain standard that the industry needs, then use AI.

I really can't agree with moaning that Xara doesn't do what you need in Adobe format, why do you have a right to expect it too? How many other applications go anywhere near Xara's Import and Export formats?
    There you have it then, I'll just dump Xara for Illustrator.

To be honest, CorelDRAW has a pretty darn good set of import/export filters, but then again Corel has it's own issues. Color handling being one...for me at least.

I love xara, it is just that if illustrator crowd (ad agencies and users) want to switch over, there is a transition time that they still have to use illustrator files until xara overtakes the market in the vector department.

So for that to happen the export and import of illustrator should be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post

Because the standard is set, and they accept that standard. another might be better, but that won`t change a thing if you have to cater for the standard. Like I could make wonderfull video's in video 2000 or betamax
    but if that won`t convert to VHS, it would be useless.

And yes, xara has many output capabilities, but if they aren`t picture perfect
    for the standard, you still would have a problem.

I am not a pro, so I don`t have these problems, luckily, but if you do, it
    might get mighty frustrating, I guess.

And since there is a version called Pro, you might expect that it would produce Pro standard outputs,

But I also heard that standards get changed by the standard makers, so
    that would mean an endless uphill battle too. I feel sorry for everyone in this.
    Maybe there should be NEN and ISO parametres be set or something like that. (this designing company is ISO 9002 certified. ;o) )
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Cool Re: EPS exports - Adobe Illustrator

Hi,

from what I know, Postscript was created by Adobe from a Xerox original idea, so Adobe is actually the "owner" of all the develop; this means they can release new versions, extend the language, and moreover they "know" really how it works.

So for XARA it is a really endless run behind Adobe, trying to develop his own EPS reading/writing strategy or to do AI export. I think they have two choices to be realist:

1) - They focus on the XAR or on any Opensource format, and push it and improve it hoping that the market will recognize the value
    2) - They purchase a licence & a library from Adobe, and let the Adobe library to write & read the AI file and the Postscripts EPS files instead of trying to develop their own libraries.

If XARA opts for option 2, this will have a cost increase for the product (due to the Adobe licence) but I am sure that it would be paid from professionals users that would have a most serious product without the need to buy two applications.

XARA could also create a version "Pro Plus" that contain the Adobe library, and the "Pro" that doesn't, so that non profit users that are not interested in import/export AI/EPS can still use XARA Xtreme "Pro" only enjoying the product.

Regards.

Roberto

excellent idea. I could have not said it any better.
    They did make pantone the standard for pro, they can do what you suggested too.